PDA

View Full Version : Question about white finish. How?

Wes Billups
08-05-2007, 1:52 PM
This may seem like a dumb question but I have never built a painted piece of furniture and am getting ready to do just that. It will be a changing dresser for our next child. This will be more a utilitarian project than fine woodworking but I'm looking for suggestions on finishing. I'll be using MDF core Alder plywood and poplar face frames. The only exposed MDF will be the dresser top and drawer edges. I've had good luck in the past sealing MDF edges with shellac before priming. I just need some help with what type of paint to use after priming. It'll be white and I want that gloss type finish you see on furniture in the stores. I was wondering if those are actually paint, is there a clear coat over the paint, or do they use white lacquer?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to everyone's suggestions.

Wes Billups

Howard Acheson
08-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Just use a standard oil based white enamel paint.

Larry Fox
08-06-2007, 9:11 AM
I would consider looking at white laquer (Target sells it). Iirc, Jim Becker did his kitchen with it.

Phil Phelps
08-06-2007, 9:44 AM
Bin pigmented shellac, it's a great primer for both oil or lacquer. If you're spraying, I'll bet you can get a glossier finish with lacquer. When thinning oil base to spray, it diminishes the gloss to more of a semi-gloss.