PDA

View Full Version : Prickly

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
08-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Hi,

A Prickly Pear Cactus blank from Curtis.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/Pens/IMG_9278.jpg

It was a red blank, used red nail polish on the tubes.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/Pens/IMG_9279.jpg
spray lacquer finish on an El Toro fountain pen.

All critiques are welcome

Larry Crim
08-05-2007, 12:12 PM
That is really cool looking jim
Larry

Nancy Laird
08-05-2007, 1:07 PM
I'd love to see it:rolleyes:

Nancy

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
08-05-2007, 3:09 PM
I'd love to see it:rolleyes:

Nancy

Hi Nancy, It was there when I posted it...I just have been reading Photobucket has had some problems today...check back later..:)

Ed Scolforo
08-05-2007, 4:18 PM
Sweet!!!!!

Patrick Taylor
08-05-2007, 4:23 PM
What a great blank! I'm sure the red tubes add depth too. How do you like the "stubby" feel of the el toro? It's hard to imagine what it feels like.

Nancy Laird
08-05-2007, 4:25 PM
OK, now I see it. Pretty pen.

Nancy (138 days!)

Ken Fitzgerald
08-05-2007, 4:54 PM
Nancy (138 days!)

What are you counting down Nancy?.......Your 16th birthday and driver's license?:confused: :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Very nice pen Jim! Curtis' cactus blanks result in some incredible pens when placed in the hands of the right persons.....You are difinitely one of them!

Nancy Laird
08-05-2007, 5:30 PM
What are you counting down Nancy?.......Your 16th birthday and driver's license?:confused: :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Ken, don't I WISH I could see 16 again, and know what I know now? No, that's 138 days until my RETIREMENT date. December 21, 2007, is my last day of fighting traffic and being in the rat race, and I get to go to work in my jammies!!! I'm going from two full-time jobs to one!! Now maybe I'll get some sleep.

Nancy (138 days)

Mike A. Smith
08-05-2007, 6:04 PM
Jim, that is absolutely, positively, flat out COOL! In case you couldn't tell, I kinda like it.

Is the red put in with the stabilizing or is it natural? Not much cactus here in L.A. (lower Alabama).

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
08-05-2007, 7:23 PM
What a great blank! I'm sure the red tubes add depth too. How do you like the "stubby" feel of the el toro? It's hard to imagine what it feels like.

Hi Patrick,

The pen feels very nice in your hand when it is opened (cigar pen like in feel), the closed look is smallish, but then again it's a pen that is meant to be used open..

It's got a nice balance as well when in use, the nibs I have on these are the stock items and write very well.

I sell these with a leather pen case so most people who buy them from me use them with the case.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
08-05-2007, 7:28 PM
Jim, that is absolutely, positively, flat out COOL! In case you couldn't tell, I kinda like it.

Is the red put in with the stabilizing or is it natural? Not much cactus here in L.A. (lower Alabama).

Thanks Mike,

Curtis casts them clear or in a variety of colours. This one was red, but I have used most o fthe colours. I like the clears a lot, you can colour the tubes to any colour you like, it also seems to have more depth in them. They are more expensive than a typical blank, they do require some CA work with small air voids if you get them and the casting does not gloss up like an acrylic...so to get a good looking finish takes some elbow grease, but they are well worth it....I also charge more for them:cool:

Bernie Weishapl
08-05-2007, 9:54 PM
Wow Jim that is beautiful. I really like it. Very well done.