PDA

View Full Version : How porous is mahogany?

Brian Penning
08-05-2007, 5:44 AM
While attaching a rocker to a rocking chair leg with epoxy and securing with a large screw I noticed epoxy seeping through at the sides of the legs. Just a couple of small areas and approx. 1-2 inches above the leg ends.
I can't see any cracks in the chair legs and had drilled a pilot hole for the screw.
Is it possible that in screwing the rocker to the leg I'm also forcing the epoxy up and through the leg pores?
TIA for any and all replies.

Mike Cutler
08-05-2007, 6:41 AM
Brian.
I really hope I'm wrong, but I think there is very small hairline crack caused by the screw exerting pressure on the wood.
I've never had glue do this.

The upside is that you used epoxy. Epoxy has better gap filling properties than PVA glue and doesn't require the clamping pressure. The epoxy may have bonded, and self repaired, the crack, and there are no worries.

Another possible cause is that there were very small void spaces in the wood naturally, and you just got unlucky enough to find them. Still though, the epoxy may have filled them just like a crack.

Carl Eyman
08-05-2007, 7:44 AM
My answer would be the same as Mike's. Don't think you have much to worry about.

Alex Elias
08-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Mahogany is very porous

Carl Eyman
08-05-2007, 11:59 AM
I won't argue that with you, Alex, but I've never seen glue bleed through except perhaps with veneer.