PDA

View Full Version : My Uncharacteristic Silence

Dave Anderson NH
01-23-2004, 5:53 AM
In case you were wondering why I've been silent for the last week or so I've been away. Yesterday I returned from my annual pilgrimage to the 18th Century Woodworking Conference at Colonial Williamsburg. On my way down last Friday I stopped in NJ and visited with 4 Neanderthal fiends ( oops, friends) and we played show and tell and BSd for hours. Saturday morning I stopped in Springfield VA and had a 3 hour breakfast at the Bob Evans with some more friends from Woodcentral's hand tools forum. From Sunday through Wednesday afternoon we were engrossed in learning about making 18th century style tall case clocks and about how to set up and maintain their movements. The best part as always, was getting to see old friends and meeting new ones. If you are a Neanderthal or a wanna bee, I urge you to try and go to one of these sessions. All of the work is done with 18th century hand tools and watching Mack Headley the master of the Hayes cabinet shop working is both humbling and something to behold. As I get organized and unpacked, I will post a few pictures.

It's good to be back and I'm happy to see everyone played "nice" while I was gone.

Halsey MCCombs
01-23-2004, 6:31 AM
Welcome back Halsey

Aaron Koehl
01-23-2004, 8:21 AM
Doh! You were only about 100 yards from where I work! ;)

Jim Becker
01-23-2004, 9:13 AM
I seem to remember that a friend of mine from Texas was taking that clock class...Ross Canant. 'Hope it was a great time, Dave!

Robert Goodwin
01-23-2004, 3:47 PM
I seem to remember that a friend of mine from Texas was taking that clock class...Ross Canant. 'Hope it was a great time, Dave!

I know Ross, worked with him on a project ( Non-woodworking)last year. How is he doing?

Rob

Jim Becker
01-23-2004, 3:50 PM
I know Ross, worked with him on a project ( Non-woodworking)last year. How is he doing?

I saw him a few months ago when I was in Dallas on business and got together with a bunch of folks. He was fine then! I know him from that other forum where I help moderate...as does he given his specialty of old tools. Really nice fellow.

Dave Anderson NH
01-23-2004, 4:15 PM
I arrived Saturday afternoon and figured you'd be out chasing wild women or partying or both. Once the SAPFM meeting and conference started on Sunday there was no free time including the evening which were taken up with banquets. I'll be down again next year as always and I'll try to contact you then. The Hennage Auditorium is in the basement of the old public hospital (Insane Asylum) hence the group joke that the woodworkers are locked up for 3 days in the basement of a nut house.