PDA

View Full Version : Is this Gloat-Worthy??

J D Thomas
08-04-2007, 9:16 PM
I stumbled across a deal on craigslist yesterday afternoon. A very nice gentleman was selling off his shop due to allergies to wood dust. I didn't know that at the time I saw his ad, but I found this out later when I went to his garage shop nearby. He made beautiful boxes with intricate inlays, designs like the American flag, and all in all, he did very special work. When I met him, I instantly liked him and felt quite sad that he had to give up something he obviously loved, and was very, very good at. He looked a bit sad when I left, and I felt the same. But I digress...

He was selling a DeWalt 20" scrollsaw and I've been after one for some time for myself and also for my wife. The saw was listed as in near perfect condition, set up and treated very well, with a light and stand, and many, many blades and other accessories.

The price for all this: $150 cash. How'd I do?

The man's name was Ron, and if you're out there Ron, I'll be thinking on you for a long, long time.

Andrew Williams
08-04-2007, 9:21 PM
yes it is gloatworthy. You suck ;)

Gary Herrmann
08-04-2007, 9:23 PM
Definitely a gloat. Make the man something with the saw you bought from him. You'll both enjoy the work.

Kendall Landry
08-04-2007, 9:24 PM
If it makes someone jealous, its gloat worthy.:D Nice tool !!!

Joe Mioux
08-04-2007, 9:50 PM
I think this gentleman sold that scrollsaw to the right person.

Bruce Page
08-04-2007, 9:57 PM
Yep, that's a gloat.
I like Gary's idea too.

Joe Mioux
08-04-2007, 10:09 PM
If he is close, invite him over sometime. He probably would enjoy a day with you and his old scrollsaw.

Joe

Rob Will
08-04-2007, 10:33 PM
I agree with Joe. Invite him over.

Rob

Bill Neely
08-05-2007, 2:52 AM
I saw that on Craig's list today. Congratulations!

Brian Penning
08-05-2007, 5:47 AM
Sorry, NOT a gloat whatsoever!
Bring it back and PM me his address -thanks! :D

Pat Germain
08-05-2007, 11:40 AM
All you guys who find great used tools suck! All I can ever find on craigslist in my area are beat up junk or tiny craftsman power tools whos owners realized were worthless. :mad:

J D Thomas
08-05-2007, 4:29 PM
...for all your comments and suggestions.

All you guys who find great used tools suck! All I can ever find on craigslist in my area are beat up junk or tiny craftsman power tools whos owners realized were worthless. :mad:

If I've learned anything about craigslist, it's that one has to be supremely patient. Pat's right, most of the things that come up are junk, and it can be difficult to sort thru all of it. I am constantly amazed at some of the pics people will post there. They don't even bother to 'try' and clean things up a bit.

But every so often, one can get lucky, as I did.

Nancy Laird
08-05-2007, 4:34 PM
Yes, JD, that is a gloat. You're really gonna love that scroller - I have the same saw and it is really a honey.

I agree--make Ron something with the saw, then invite him to dinner and give it to him. I'm sure almost anything you make for him will bring a tear to his eye.

Nancy (138 days)