PDA

View Full Version : Some Shop Pics

Ted Miller
08-04-2007, 7:29 PM
A freind of mine on this board wanted me to post pics of my shop. I told him I am too lazy to clean it since it will only get dirty again.

I stopped doing kitchens because of time constraints and space in my small shop. Went from a 3 car to a 2 car. Plus a full time job on top of it all.

Now its small jobs in my condo complex such as mantles, surrounds, desks, cabinet repairs, drawers and fronts and cab doors. The cabinets we have in these condos are terrible. The only real wood I have found so far in these places is some #2 pine.

Big thing right now in my complex is silverware dividers, if you can believe that one:

Ted Miller
08-04-2007, 7:30 PM
Couple more:

Bruce Page
08-04-2007, 7:44 PM
Sweet shop Ted. You have some very nice equipment.

Gary Keedwell
08-04-2007, 7:52 PM
Nice shop......which Festool sander do you have hooked up and do you like it?
Gary K.

Ted Miller
08-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Bruce, Thank you, not much space sometimes I have to go outside just to change my mind. Not much room for assembly so I cut everything first then do construction.

Gary, I was using the Linear Sander today to clean up some drawer edges, I use the 6 and 10 mm radius pads on the edges. I like the RO 150 for taking a good bite out of rougher edges. Finished up a very large cutting block on a island that was Hard Maple, Purple heart and Paduak. 48" wide by 60" long and 8/4. The RO ate right through it like it was butter. By the time I was done the RO was a bit warm but did an excellent job...

Brett Baldwin
08-05-2007, 4:07 AM
It looks like you are getting every ounce of use in that space. It seems like a well arranged setup with many nice tools.

Roger Bell
08-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Ted:

I see you use a hood and the stock dust bag for the Dewalt CMS. That is unusual. Do you have the CMS connected to your stationary DC? Does it connect via the hood or via a downdraft below the saw?

I am asking because I am still struggling with mine.....

Pat Germain
08-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Looks like a hard-working shop, Ted. I got a few ideas for my shop from your pics. Thanks for sharing.

Gee, the interior woodwork in my neighborhood is pretty awful as well. I wonder if I could help a few neighbors with this...

Ted Miller
08-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Rodger, I know with the SCMS its always been a mess in my shops. I found the best way is to cover as much as possible around the saw but still be able to use the double bevel and slide. I use the big gulp dust hood just behind the saw with a hole cut through the table top. I also wax the hood so the dust falls even faster.

When I changed shops I had no room as you can see in my shop for my 3 hp clear vue cyclone. So I have had to adjust with the 2 hp dc with a .05 mic canister and 4" flex hose. Seems to be working very well plus I can open the garage door and vent everything outside if need be.

Ted Miller
08-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Pat, Thank you. I probably get a few hours each day after my regular job in the shop then 12-16 hours on the weekends.

I had no intentions on fixing up the neighborhood but after doing alot of renovating to my condo everyone in the complex wanted something done.

I don't mind since I feel as though I am a menace running my machines, but I do keep the garage door closed. air filtration running at all times and I never turn on anything before 10 am and I shut down all machines by 6 pm.

Ted Miller
08-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Brett, I had to go from a 3 car to a 2 car garage and I thought on man how am I going to get all this stuff in there. The two things I had to part with was my clear vue cyclone. Going from a 9' ceiling to a 7' was not easy. Lost lumber storage as well. I also had to let my router table go since it was very large and had two mounted routers. The top alone was 38" wide and 48" long so I didn't have to change bits as much doing cope and stick...