PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic: DVD Burner

Christopher Pine
08-04-2007, 7:25 PM
Hello: I was hoping some computer minded folks could help me. I bought a dvd burner last night and installed it on my current system. Dell Dimension 8250. At first glance all appeared good on reboot. It seemed like it chose the driver(s) needed and was functioning. IE: it plays dvd's and cd's. I burned a cd-r on it and worked great. I did not have any dvd disks to try and burn on so I went today to the store and bougt a pack of dvd+R. I seen they had both +R and -R (heck if I know which is better) I took a shot and just got the + , is there a big difference? Because now when I try to in windows drag files to the drive with the dvd+ disk in it is says "Windows encountered a problem trying to copy this file" When I drag it to the drive with a regular cd-r in the drive it works like normal...

HELP!

I hate trying to get software to run hardware correctly... Or do I just need different disks?
The drive I purchased was from newwegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827136119

Any help is appreciated!

Chris

Raymond Fries
08-04-2007, 7:30 PM
I think that to drag and drop files you need re-writeable disks (RW). The formatting is different for re-writeable disks.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck...

Christopher Pine
08-04-2007, 7:37 PM
I think that to drag and drop files you need re-writeable disks (RW). The formatting is different for re-writeable disks.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck...

SO are you saying that only re-writeable disks will work or I could use some other software to burn on other disks?
I am very unknowlegeable on this so talk to me accordingly. :)
Thanks

Raymond Fries
08-04-2007, 7:45 PM
Read the documentation that came with your device. You probably can burn DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD-R, CD-RW, CD-R and maybe others.

It is the players that are picky on which type of disk that can be read. For example, a device that only reads DVD-R will not read a DVD+R. But your burner can read both because it was designed that way.

The problem that you posted can probably be fixed by using the software that came with your burner and selecting the files from the menu to burn on your DVD+R disks instead of trying to drag and drop them.

Hope this helps.

Christopher Pine
08-04-2007, 7:49 PM
Read the documentation that came with your device. You probably can burn DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD-R, CD-RW, CD-R and maybe others.

It is the players that are picky on which type of disk that can be read. For example, a device that only reads DVD-R will not read a DVD+R. But your burner can read both because it was designed that way.

The problem that you posted can probably be fixed by using the software that came with your burner and selecting the files from the menu to burn on your DVD+R disks instead of trying to drag and drop them.

Hope this helps.

Well unfortunately all I got was the drive... no manual no software etc.. I will poke around the net and look for these....

mark page
08-04-2007, 9:00 PM
Christopher,

I recommend you get a program called "NERO". It will burn all formats of cd's and dvd's. If you are running Windows operating system, it will only recognize the cd format for burning discs. There are a lot of programs that work well such as NTI, PRASSI, FRAUNHOFER, etc. I have used them all but prefer NERO as the most powerful and user friendly. It has a very low learning curve. It will burn ISO, Nero's own format of NRG, direct copy, dvd formats, etc. etc. etc. type files, and is great for music too. As far as the dvd disc types themselves, it depends upon your dvd players whether or not they will play or not. Most computer dvd burners will support and play all of the types, tv style dvd players are more finicky about what they will play. I have a cheap APEX player that will play a folgers coffee can lid if thrown at it as it was made before the patent infringement wars of the last decade, and several expensive Sony and Pioneer units that will not play everything thrown at it. http://www.videohelp.com/guides is one source of information available that may help you.
I feel its the best program out there that does all formats of cd's and dvd burning.
Just my .02 worth and hope this helps more than confuses you. I am sort of in a hurry tonight and don't have much time to really proofread my info.

Mark

Christopher Pine
08-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Christopher,

I recommend you get a program called "NERO". It will burn all formats of cd's and dvd's. If you are running Windows operating system, it will only recognize the cd format for burning discs. There are a lot of programs that work well such as NTI, PRASSI, FRAUNHOFER, etc. I have used them all but prefer NERO as the most powerful and user friendly. It has a very low learning curve. It will burn ISO, Nero's own format of NRG, direct copy, dvd formats, etc. etc. etc. type files, and is great for music too. As far as the dvd disc types themselves, it depends upon your dvd players whether or not they will play or not. Most computer dvd burners will support and play all of the types, tv style dvd players are more finicky about what they will play. I have a cheap APEX player that will play a folgers coffee can lid if thrown at it as it was made before the patent infringement wars of the last decade, and several expensive Sony and Pioneer units that will not play everything thrown at it. http://www.videohelp.com/guides is one source of information available that may help you.
I feel its the best program out there that does all formats of cd's and dvd burning.
Just my .02 worth and hope this helps more than confuses you. I am sort of in a hurry tonight and don't have much time to really proofread my info.

Mark

I am learning... I guess I assumed that dvd worked just like the cd's did in windows... Well I was wrong about that.. I was able to get a piece fo free software to work so I know at least the hardware is good to go. I will look into Nero... do you have the full version?

Thansk again for the info!

Chris

Peter Stahl
08-05-2007, 6:08 AM
Well unfortunately all I got was the drive... no manual no software etc.. I will poke around the net and look for these....

Christopher,

Looks like you bought a OEM drive like I did. You can usually get a PDF file with the manual from the manufacturers web site, that's what I did for mine. With a +/- DVD-RW disk you can format it then drag and drop files. Like someone said with a program like Nero you should be able to put files on a DVD+R but I don't think you can drag and drop that way.

Jim O'Dell
08-05-2007, 9:22 AM
Chris, I sent you a PM on this. Jim.

Phil Thien
08-05-2007, 9:28 AM
Drag and drop doesn't work w/ the Windows built-in burning on a DVD. Only a CD.

If you have some other packet writing software installed, it may have to be updated to support a DVD.

Christopher Pine
08-05-2007, 6:12 PM
Thanks everyone.. I am on my way to getting edumatated about this. I have gotten it to work like I said so just the finer points to learn and settle on my software..

Appreciate the help!