PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Lidded Box

Bernie Weishapl
08-04-2007, 2:28 PM
Here is a cedar lidded box I did this week. Nothing spectacular but it does have a first. When I completed this project I figured I would put a finial on it. I have been watching Cindy Drozda's DVD on Elegant Finial's. This one is 1 3/4" tall. It was done with a big skew and 1/4" spindle gouge. Finished with Antique Oil and waiting for buffing.

Pete Jordan
08-04-2007, 2:34 PM
Another great one Bernie! That video is very well done.

Thanks for the advice on the skew! I ended up buying the 5/8 Lacer.

Steve Schlumpf
08-04-2007, 6:06 PM
Nice job on the box Bernie! Like to see the grain all line up! Finial looks great! Nice crisp details and the color blends in with the cedar! Nice work!

Bobby Perry
08-04-2007, 9:14 PM
Bernie my wife saw your lidded box and asked me if I could make one of those. I had some cedar in the shop so I tried it. Hope you don't mind I used yours as a model.

Its cedar about 2 1/2 X 1 1/2 inches with a walnut finial. The finish is Deft. It is also my first one.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-04-2007, 9:37 PM
Very nice box Bernie! You really are getting hooked on those finials aren't you? Yours are definitely looking better each time! Nicely done!

Bernie Weishapl
08-04-2007, 11:17 PM
Bernie my wife saw your lidded box and asked me if I could make one of those. I had some cedar in the shop so I tried it. Hope you don't mind I used yours as a model.

Its cedar about 2 1/2 X 1 1/2 inches with a walnut finial. The finish is Deft. It is also my first one.

Don't mind at all Bobby. Cedar can be a little cracky as I call it but when it is good it is a joy to turn. Very well done Bobby for your first one.

Thanks again everyone. I really like doing those finials. I am going to try some different designs now that I have those pretty well down.

Tom Sherman
08-05-2007, 9:52 AM
Very nice Bernie, bet your shop was smelling great huh

Bernie Weishapl
08-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks Tom. Yep it sure does smell good. The LOML wanted to clean it and I told her no not till the smells goes away.:D