PDA

View Full Version : Dremel Gloat

Phil Gwinn
08-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Just got me a complete, working, with owners manual Dremel Moto-Lathe (mini) for $20 at a garage sale. I missed the full size lathe for $75 dollars by about an hour.

Jon Shively
08-04-2007, 4:55 PM
It is a great feeling isn't it!!!??? I bought a Tool Shop full sized lathe and a set of turning chisels (cheapies) and a decent set of carving chisels last weekend for $35. Figured I would make a disc sander out of the lathe if nothing else as I have a JET mini and Craftsman VS already.

Michael Schwartz
08-04-2007, 5:10 PM
Those miniature lates can be kind of cool for turning pens of making tool handles. Worst case scenario you can either let a kid play arround with it, or turn it into a grinder or sander or something. I usualy don't say kind things about stuff Dremmle makes, but I will bet it could knock the socks off of a Unimat.

Phil Gwinn
08-05-2007, 3:15 PM
Those miniature lates can be kind of cool for turning pens of making tool handles. Worst case scenario you can either let a kid play arround with it, or turn it into a grinder or sander or something. I usualy don't say kind things about stuff Dremmle makes, but I will bet it could knock the socks off of a Unimat.

I don't know if it will turn pens or not. I've never turned one. I'd love to try. The manual says it will take a blank six inches long by one and a half square. Now I get to take some ancient screwdrivers and see if I can grind serviceable "mini" chisels out of them.

I also picked up a Craftsman 4.5 in benchtop jointer circa 1981 for another $20.00. I orignally didn't mention it since this is the turner zone. But like Jon said . . . It's an awesome feeling.