PDA

View Full Version : Best video?

George Conklin
08-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Good morning Neanders,

What do you think are the best videos out there for teaching the use of hand tools, (planing).

One more question, how to you keep the rust off your planes?

Thanks.

Joe Meazle
08-04-2007, 3:11 PM
My favorites have been the Jim Kigshott videos. They are packed with info and may be a little overwelming for the complete newbie. They do bare rewatching from time to time.

Shawarz's Corse medium, & Fine is up there too.

The Frank Klausz "hand tools" is pretty basic and covers Planes Chisels and small saws. The Mario Rodrigez Hanplane Vid is pretty good but gets a little cheezey when the neighbor stops by.

I have not seen any of the Charelswoth stuff but I have heard good things. (any one want to make some trades?) I have seen some Cosman stff but not on planing.

Joe

Michael Schwartz
08-04-2007, 5:15 PM
You might want to do a Google Videos or Youtube search, I don't know what whats out there that people have posted and put out for free.

I know you are looking for videos but I would highly reccomend the Handplane Book by Garrett Hack, as well as Classic Handtools, his older book.

Terry Beadle
08-04-2007, 6:33 PM
I think David Charlesworth's first two CD videos are the best of the lot. The others are good too but they don't cover the technique that Charlesworth espouses and works wonders.

Kingshott is a giant. His videos are really good too and he does cover technique, plane selection, and the secondary planes.

If I only had a $50 dollar budget, I'd buy Charlesworth's first two videos as they cover the proper use and how to sharpen better than any of the others.

If you are into Japanease planes and irons, Harleson Stanley is about the only one out there but his videos are a bit pricecy.

I agree also that watching them, over a period of time and practice, makes them all valuable. I watch them all for over several years and go back again and see or learn something new. It's really a great deal because now I have square boards, flat surfaces, and almost use no sand paper etc. It's a real pleasure to build something that will last and last.

Now that Kingshott has passed on, it's even more significant to be able to share his life work thru his videos. I wish more of the master's would just make videos of a shop visit etc. Technique and wisdom are priceless.

Dem's my 2cents.

Jim Nardi
08-04-2007, 10:14 PM
I think Kingshott's video's are the best because he really comes across as Grandpa with you sitting at the end of the bench. Most of his video's are coming out in September in DVD format. I've watched them so many times just for the pure enjoyment of it.

Wendell Wilkerson
08-04-2007, 11:01 PM
I think Kingshott's video's are the best because he really comes across as Grandpa with you sitting at the end of the bench. Most of his video's are coming out in September in DVD format. I've watched them so many times just for the pure enjoyment of it.

I love my Kingshott videos too. I am glad to hear that they are coming out in DVD format so more people can enjoy them.

My second favorite videos are Chris Schwarz's. I would highly recommend his "Course, Medium, Fine" video. Watch out for the "Forgotten Hand Tools". It will give you a hard push down the "slope". I started scouring Ebay for a Maydole hammer after watching that one.

I am glad Joe mentioned Mario Rodrigez's Handplane video. It covers using a smoother and jointer very well and talks about some other handplanes that useful even in power tool shop.

I like Cosman's dovetail videos. They have some little tricks you won't find in other videos. Though it is interesting to compare Kingshott and Cosman. They both pretty teach basically the same method except Cosman has a more rigorous method for laying the dovetails and Kingshott is a little more ad hoc.

I have most of the Charlesworth videos too. Personally, they are not my cup of tea. I find his methods come across as too rigid for my tastes. He makes wonderful furniture so I respect his work. Lots of people like his videos maybe because they are so detailed. They're just not to my liking.

Wendell

George Conklin
08-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Thanks for all of your responses. I do appreciate them:) .