PDA

View Full Version : Got a Labor Of Love? Here is one of mine.

Raymond Fries
08-04-2007, 11:20 AM
This is an herb garden frame I made for my wife for Christmas 2005. The frame which was cut from ¾” cherry is in a 40” wide pass-through window between our living room and kitchen.

She had wanted something in this window for a long time so she could grow her favorite herbs and plants. Every time we would be shopping somewhere where there was something that I could make work, I would just respond and say, “Let me see what I can figure out” Or, “I’ll come up with something sometime.” I knew that she knew that I was blowing it off. What she did not know was that I was working on this in secret for months. I even took vacation time and came home when she was working to complete some parts of the project. It took me about 50 hours to cut. Add to that the CAD work for the design, the sanding, finishing, electrical work, and fitting the frame to the window. It just took a while...

I wrapped up the panels for Christmas morning and actually installed it after Christmas because I could not have installed the grow light without her knowing what I was up to. Needless to say there were “tears of joy” on Christmas morning. It was worth every minute spent and yes when we move in a few years, guess what I have in mind for another Christmas?

Joe Mioux
08-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Raymond, that sure is a great story and I enjoyed reading. Although I really would enjoy seeing it. ;)

Joe

Raymond Fries
08-04-2007, 1:59 PM
Not sure why they did not upload. I'll try again.

Al Killian
08-04-2007, 2:13 PM
That looks really nice. Well worth the wait. Any chance of putting up some larger pics?

Raymond Fries
08-04-2007, 3:21 PM
The first ones were 9 meg. I cut the DPI to 75 and re-sized them to meet the limits for the forum. Let me try again and I'll get something as large as the upload will allow.

Raymond Fries
08-04-2007, 5:41 PM
Hope these are better.

Pat Germain
08-04-2007, 6:33 PM
Holy smokes, Raymond, you must have killer coping saw skills! Amazing project. Thanks for sharing.

Carl Eyman
08-04-2007, 8:23 PM
Beautiful Work!

Kendall Landry
08-04-2007, 9:58 PM
Very Very Nice !!!

Joe Mioux
08-04-2007, 9:59 PM
I am glad you figured out how to use the picture posting thingys. :)

Very nice.

And you can tell it was a labor of love.

Joe