PDA

View Full Version : Logs to blanks, wanna do it right

steve fleischmann
08-04-2007, 9:23 AM
I'm bringing home some logs from vacation to be used as bowl blanks. I'm planning on sealing the ends with latex paint until I get home. Then? cut out the pith, and round them out on the band saw, then what? I'm not taking a bowl turning class until September so I don't want to mess them up. What do the alky baths do? Should I leave the logs whole until I gain some experience?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Steve

Patrick Taylor
08-04-2007, 9:28 AM
I suggest seal the ends of the logs until you're ready to use them. (You may change your mind later about how to cut them!) If you must make rounded blanks now, just seal those on all sides until you can use them. Don't bother with alcohol until you've roughed out a bowl. Alcohol will not do anything for a big thick blank.

.... my $.02

Jim Stoppleworth
08-04-2007, 9:35 AM
IMO (and I'm still a beginner) I'd cut the pith out and store the blanks in a shady place with stickers between them in a stack until I'm ready to turn them. I wouldn't round them on the bandsaw 'til I'm ready to turn them.

Jim

Bernie Weishapl
08-04-2007, 10:47 AM
I agree. Once you get your logs home, cut the pith out and cut them to length you want for bowls, seal and store. Cut them round when you get ready to turn them. Like Patrick said you might want to take one of the blanks and cut it to make a lidded box, etc.

joe greiner
08-04-2007, 11:47 AM
Latex paint isn't quite as good as paraffin wax or Anchorseal. I'd suggest re-coating every month or two. (DAMHIKT)

Joe

George Guadiane
08-04-2007, 8:02 PM
I'm bringing home some logs from vacation to be used as bowl blanks. I'm planning on sealing the ends with latex paint until I get home. Then? cut out the pith, and round them out on the band saw, then what? I'm not taking a bowl turning class until September so I don't want to mess them up. What do the alky baths do? Should I leave the logs whole until I gain some experience?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Steve
Steve,
If you want to do it "right," seal the ends with paraffin wax or Anchorseal and wait till you get to the turning class.
The fewer "ends there are, the less that will check. IF you have access to a saw mill, cut the pith out, and save the quarter sawn planks, but cutting the blanks up without knowing what you will do with them will almost certainly leave you dissatisfied (personal experience talking here, and I sell bowl blanks).
When I cut up blanks, I seal the edges of the rounded blanks with paraffin wax... I melt the wax in an old electric frying pan and just roll the blanks slowly across the pan till the whole edge is covered. Square blanks get waxed end grain.
I store the waxed blanks in cardboard banana boxes, which can lead to some spalting, but also slows down the moisture loss (which makes for less cracking).

Jim Becker
08-05-2007, 1:23 PM
I suggest seal the ends of the logs until you're ready to use them. (You may change your mind later about how to cut them!)

I agree...I generally avoid cutting rounds at the bandsaw because that causes a major commitment right then for the orientation of the turning and the wood, more or less...which might not be the best way to take advantage of the material and its unique features.