PDA

View Full Version : I've been invaded

Doug M Jones
08-04-2007, 7:33 AM
My boss was moving and offered me some wood that was left after a couple of trees were cut down on her place. It was supposed to be walnut and oak. The oak is definitely oak and the walnut is a reddish color so I don't think it's walnut. Anyway, I cut it into chunks and waxed the ends and put it on the cement floor in my basement until I had time to turn it. Yesterday, I went to get a piece and noticed what looked like an anthill of very fine sawdust coming out of one of the so called walnut pieces. Several of the chunks have them coming out of branch nubs or the side. My camera's at my daughters and I can't take pictures until next week but thought someone might have an idea. We don't have termites in this area, something about soil conditions but I have heard of carpenter ants?? I've moved the wood but want to make sure I didn't infest the house.

Thanks for your help,

Doug

Mark Pruitt
08-04-2007, 8:11 AM
You did the right thing to quarantine the wood; if you're concerned that there might be some ants roaming inside, my suggestion is to use Raid Fumigator (not Fogger). Fumigator comes three to a pack--use all three. It produces smoke, not mist, so you don't have to clean up any residue from it. I think the evacuation time is 4 hours.

Jason Roehl
08-04-2007, 9:52 AM
If the holes are about 3/32" diameter and neatly round, that sounds like powder post beetles. You would see carpenter ants as they are large (up to 1/2" or so) and would be all over the place if you cut through wood that is also their nest. Never spray carpenter ants--that causes the survivors to relocate; use bait instead. I don't know what you should use on powder post beetles.

John Bush
08-04-2007, 12:16 PM
For powder post beetles dissolve Boraxo, or other borax powder, in water and liberally spray the wood. I brought a bunch of old walnut, cherry, and maple that had been stored in our barn in Il for 30+ years out here and after being stacked for 6+ months I noticed miniature piles of sawdust that were way too precise for me to have made. I sprayed it down, on the recommendation of my local pest control guy--"MacDonald Bugless"--(seriously) and have not seen any evidence since. Good luck, John.

willis martin
08-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Doug I have never run across walnut being infested with ants aBut with lots of experience with Mesquite that may very well be your mystery critters Because worms love the sapwood of mesquite and can live a very long time after the tree has been cut up Just a thought Willis Martin Tyler Tx.

Pat Salter
08-08-2007, 12:22 PM
I have also put the pieces in a plastic bag for a week or two. They don't have big lungs, but they do need oxygen. :D

Frank Kobilsek
08-08-2007, 3:56 PM
Doug
I bet Jason is correct on the Powder post beetles. I brought home a tree worth of Hackberry full of that stuff them critters for firewood. The Raid Fumigator Mark talked about has kept things in check in both my shed and the garage shop. In Check mean no damage to other wood stored there. I use the whole box of three in early spring and early summer, no troubles.

Mark those are the units you just add water, right?

Frank

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-08-2007, 8:36 PM
Here, DOUG, is a Quick Cure for critters in wood.

1. Make sure LOYL ain't home.

2. Make the pieces wil fit inside your Microwave.

3. Program the Microvave to 2 minutes at 20%.

4. Listen for the pop and crackle. That's the critters getting CRISPY. MMgood!

If more than one treatment is needed, wait till the wood completely cools and do it again.

Bruce

TYLER WOOD
08-09-2007, 2:06 PM
Bruce I love the smell of popcorn, but popgrubs??? DON'T TELL THE WIFE? she'll find out, they know when their equipment has been used. Just like men, we know when our tools have moved. (you can see the shaddow lines in the sawdust where the tool used to be)