PDA

View Full Version : I've an interesting project ahead...

Joe Unni
08-04-2007, 7:30 AM
...and have a couple of questions.

The project: Six 12" x 12" ceramic tiles have been painted to create one large image. The artist like my idea of framing the image in a purple heart frame that is shaped and smoothed to be really soft and a bit organic.

Here is a cropped image of the tiles.

My thought was to attach these to some 1/2 baltic birch by way of Liquid Nails (she doesn't want grout) and then drop this into a rabbet on the frame and put two cleats on the back, top and bottom. Both to hold the tiles in place and the top to have a reverse 45 as part of a French cleat.

Questions:
- any problems with using Liquid Nails and tile?
- will 1/2 baltic be sufficient for the cleat system?

Any other insight is most welcome.

Thanks,
-joe

scott spencer
08-04-2007, 7:36 AM
That is an interesting project Joe. I can see why they don't want to use grout. Did you file down the spacer tabs on the tiles if they had them? Are you going to create any kind of wood matt?

Good luck and post some pics when done!

jim mckee
08-04-2007, 7:38 AM
Sounds ok to me for lq nails and 1/2". I think I'd saw kerf/scratch the ply just a little (not deep) for extra grab.
Just don't let it bend when handling.
You may also consider metal keyhole hangers on the back for hanging (rockler sells them).
jim

Glenn Clabo
08-04-2007, 7:46 AM
Joe,
Interesting project...and I have more questions than answers. I'm wondering if Liquid Nail will cure too brittle? Is there a more flexible adhesive that would allow the tile/backer to flex slightly? I would think that if there is any thought of moving this...it would be better to let it flex.
Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Bill Arnold
08-04-2007, 7:55 AM
Very interesting project, for sure! I agree with Glenn that Liquid Nails might become too brittle over time. A better choice might be a good quality construction adhesive that allows for a bit of flex. Another option might be the mastic used for mounting mirrors to walls -- that stuff lasts for decades!

On another note, had you considered ripping some narrow strips of wood to fill the space between tiles?

Al Killian
08-04-2007, 2:53 PM
They make a elastic type gluefor putting tile onto floors. This would allow the ply to move.

Jim Becker
08-04-2007, 3:36 PM
What you describe is essentially how I mounted a three tile set I have hanging in our bedroom...flexible adhesive to mount the tiles to a substrate and then "regular" picture framing to complete. You'll want to do your framing rebates before you get into the "organic" shaping... ;)

Joe Unni
08-04-2007, 4:40 PM
...You'll want to do your framing rebates before you get into the "organic" shaping... ;)

Agreed.

...flexible adhesive...

Any particular brand you can recommend?

glenn bradley
08-04-2007, 5:42 PM
Silicone rubber will hold to porous surfaces like your ply and tile. Construction adhesive I've used with success is PL Landscape Block Adhesive. Available at the BORG.

Craig Thompson
08-06-2007, 12:34 AM
Agreed.

Any particular brand you can recommend?

I have had to do a similar project for inside a couple wine cellars. I used the "PL Polyurethane" adhesive... it has not failed yet.

Joe Unni
08-06-2007, 7:27 AM
Silicone rubber will hold to porous surfaces like your ply and tile. Construction adhesive I've used with success is PL Landscape Block Adhesive. Available at the BORG.

I have had to do a similar project for inside a couple wine cellars. I used the "PL Polyurethane" adhesive... it has not failed yet.

I'll get a sample tile and some of this PL stuff and see what happens.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks very much,
-joe