PDA

View Full Version : Maple Island Top (w/pics)

scott spencer
08-04-2007, 7:06 AM
This was a quickie project made from 1" thick hard maple. Just a retopping and expansion of the kitchen island. It went from the original 39.5" x 51 with no overhangs to 48" x 71" and now has 3 overhangs to accommodate some stools for seating.

It was supposed to be done last weekend, but the LOML changed her mind about the shape and size after I had glued up a 40" x 74" panel!

Nothing too technically challenging with this design, but dang that hard maple resists sanding! It takes alot of effort with 50 grit belt sander to get it to cooperate, then you need to spend several hours sanding off the sander marks....the best way to tell if you've got them all off is to apply a finish. (DAMHIKT! :eek: )

All of the maple was free. Most of it came from the dumpster at work...it was formerly used as 2x8 bumper boards....very heavy boards! The edge pieces are from an old library table that my BIL moved out when we made him a new maple and granite conference table for his new office ....that's also maple best I could tell, but it's probably not hard maple. I laid out the arc by bowing a piece of wood and just traced the outline, then freehanded it on the BS, and followed up with more sanding. The finish is a semi-gloss poly, but the pics make it look glossier than it is.

It's likely that we'll now paint the base of the island. Stools to follow....but I'm buying them!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/Projects/island/000_0657.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/Projects/island/000_0656.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/Projects/island/000_0654.jpg

Joe Unni
08-04-2007, 7:11 AM
Very pretty Scott! Re-using materials has a very nice appeal.

Good work.

-joe

Pete Bradley
08-04-2007, 7:45 AM
Looks great! Really good choice of materials too.

I wonder a bit how that strip at the end will fare attached across the grain of such a wide piece

Jim Becker
08-04-2007, 9:05 AM
Very nice, Scott. You'll appreciate the extra space for so many things, too!

Chris Fierro
08-04-2007, 9:39 AM
Very nice work. And not to take away from your island but I am in love with your floor!

-CF

Gary Keedwell
08-04-2007, 10:16 AM
Scott, Nice job. I like what you did with the subtle bow. Gives it a distinct look.
Gary K.

Alan Tolchinsky
08-04-2007, 11:18 AM
Nice job and yes hard maple is a pain to sand isn't it? I find the same thing with seeing sanding marks after the finish is on. It drives me nuts. I try to use mineral spirits but the completed finish is the best for seeing sanding marks. :)

Steve Clardy
08-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Nice job!!!

Tyler Howell
08-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Real nice Tim,
Just worried about blow out of the banding:confused:
Is the recycled material more stable:confused:

Howard Acheson
08-04-2007, 2:18 PM
Nice job but I am afraid that the end grain banding is going to be a problem. Maple is an unstable wood and it will have significant movement with changes in seasonal relative humidity.

The way many professionals look for sanding miscues is to apply some mineral spirits to the surface. You can use naphtha and alcohol also. These chemicals will show up any glue on the surface as well as preveiwing the finished color of the wood. It will also highlight any sanding marks that need to be taken care of. The chemicals will all evaporate leaving no residue.

scott spencer
08-04-2007, 5:20 PM
Thanks for the comments gang. I do have some concerns about the end grain banding, but I used the same wood and a similar technique on my workbench about 5 years ago and it hasn't budged. If the edgebanding gives way, hopefully it'll be an easy repair....and, yes, I'll let y'all know. :o