PDA

View Full Version : Progress Report

Bruce Page
08-03-2007, 10:55 PM
On the cabinet from ….Hades

Actually, I’m starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel. :)
I installed the back panel today along with a piece of ½” birch ply (yeah, I think I got enough screws in it. That piece of ply ain’t going nowhere!) :rolleyes:

I hope you can get a good feel for the grain pattern, I think it is going to be impressive once I get the finish on it.
All I have left is the shelves, the ¼ rounds for the glass and the 5 drawers……

The drawers are intimidating me a lot. I have never made drawers that didn’t have a false front - a false front can compensate for a lot. I will be using my Omnijig (which I love) but getting a perfect fit into each drawer cavity is scary to say the least. Any tips you all can provide will be greatly appreciated!
As I said in an earlier post, I’m working towards doing the finish work this winter when I can control the temperature in the shop.
LOML is after me to do the kitchen next……..

Chuck Lenz
08-03-2007, 11:05 PM
Lookin good Bruce, gotta luv all that quartersawn also.

Roy Wall
08-03-2007, 11:18 PM
Bruce -

The cabinet is looking Fabulous!! The design, the fit, the resaw...terrific!!

My advice on the drawers is this: You only need a tape measure to get the depth minus an inch or so. Everything else is making a direct mark on the drawer sides/ front / back pieces for exact height and width match to the openings.

The front and back should be exact size of the opening. I'm sure you have everything parallel and square....so once you've got a drawer made... get out a block / hand plane and start making shavings for a perfect fit.

frank shic
08-03-2007, 11:39 PM
bruce, how long did it take you to do those mullion doors? it took me at least three tries to get the look right on my kitchen cabinets and then it took another eternity to trim, rout, fit and sometimes trim, rout, fit again!

Bruce Page
08-04-2007, 12:08 AM
bruce, how long did it take you to do those mullion doors? it took me at least three tries to get the look right on my kitchen cabinets and then it took another eternity to trim, rout, fit and sometimes trim, rout, fit again!
Frank, it took me almost 2 weeks to do the doors (I’m really slow)
I posted about it last January….did I mention that I am really slow…
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=49257

Don Bullock
08-04-2007, 12:40 AM
Bruce, your cabinet is really starting to come together. That back looks fantastic. It's easier the see the QS grain pattern in these shops than it was in the last ones you posted. And, there is nothing wrong with being s-l-o-w.;) I'm not a fast woorker either. I enjoy spending time on a project and not rushing through it. BTW - Drawers intimidate me too.

frank shic
08-04-2007, 1:03 AM
Bruce, that cabinet is really quite a beauty. It appears pretty hefty as well. Can you still move it by yourself? Last question: are you going to be spraying it with that ingersoll-rand compressor i see in the background?

:D

Bruce Page
08-04-2007, 1:32 AM
Frank, I can still move it without help, but it is getting pretty stout. I might need a crane after I install the beveled glass! LOL!

The finish will be all hand applied. A seal coat of shellac followed by a witches brew mix of Gilsonite & mineral spirits, followed by several coats of varnish.

Michael Schwartz
08-04-2007, 2:30 AM
I appreciate how you went with the thicker ply on the back, 1/4 inch just deflects too much.

Alex Elias
08-04-2007, 4:25 AM
The piece looks very nice indeed. Pretty clean and well done. For what I can see altough the drawers can be intimidating you shoud not have any dificulties with them. The doors that you already have completed seems to be more labor intense and they look great from here. You can always do a prtotype from poplar to get the right dimensions and loosen up a bit. Don't forget about seasonal movement so don't cut the eight so close on the sides that the drawers will get stuck when expandes.
Regards,
Alex

Rich Torino
08-04-2007, 5:31 AM
Bruce,
that is just a great looking piece. Real nice work....

Glenn Clabo
08-04-2007, 6:54 AM
Bruce,
I'm really liking this one.

Now about being scared about the fit up of the draws. Me thinks it's those machinists perfection thoughts getting into your head. I think I can understand.;) I've found that if I make draw fronts out of poster-board or scrap it calms me down a little bit.

Great job on a sweet project.

Jim Becker
08-04-2007, 9:04 AM
Wow...impressive piece, Bruce!! I'm looking forward to more pictures as it progresses to completion.

John Timberlake
08-04-2007, 1:10 PM
Looking great so far. Love the through mortises on the sides. Drawer arrangement is really nice.

Merle Clor
08-04-2007, 8:08 PM
Bruce,
It looks really good! I have done inset drawers so I am certain you will be able to do an exceptional job. I've seen your shop and I know your ability.

If you need a little spare qswo, I know where you can find it.
Merle

Bob Feeser
08-04-2007, 8:47 PM
Bruce,
Great looking piece. The beauty of the quartersawn, the proportions, and design, all look great, but the through mortises IMHO take it over the top. I am sure once you get the finish on it, and install the beveled glass the through mortises will have even more competition.
Bob

Bruce Page
08-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Thanks Bob. It’s been awhile since I cut those through mortises – they were a lot of fun.

Merle, I could use about 20bf of 6/4. Do you have a secret stash?