PDA

View Full Version : Carter bandsaw upgrade kit

Thomas Meredith
08-03-2007, 8:46 PM
I recently aquired a powermatic 143 bandsaw from a college surplus machinery bid and I was looking at the carter upgrade kit that replaces the upper guid arm and the upper and lower guides with their 2300 series roller guides and it also says that with this kit you can put up to an 1 inch blade on the saw I think 1/2" is the biggest you can use in stock condition This kit cost $179.00 so I was wondering if any of you have one and if they are worth it also what else can you do with the carter setup that you can not do with the factory set. I already bought a Kreg fence for it which I like alot. It seems to be a really nice saw and the best part is I got it on sealed bid for $151.00 Its a 1984 or 85 I cant remember right off hand and it is in excellent shape I think nobody else bid because it had a out of service ribbon wraped around it because it kept throwing the motor belt off. When I got it home I looked down at the carrier pully and the motor pully and I saw that they were about an 1" to 11/2# out of line so I loosen 4 bolts slide the motor over and bingo it ran like a clock.
Thanks for any info

Loren Hedahl
08-03-2007, 9:09 PM
Sounds like you got a great saw at a great price.

Seems like a good way to progress would be to stay with the original guides until you find some definite need where the Carter or other guides would be much superior.

glenn bradley
08-03-2007, 10:53 PM
My dad put the carter setup on his older (55 years) Delta 14" and seems extremely happy. Be sure to identify the post type. Dad's is hex.

Bart Leetch
08-04-2007, 12:43 AM
Just get cool blocks & run a 1/2" Timberwolf or Woodslicer blade. For everyday use a 1/4" or 3/8" blade will do just fine. You'll find most 14" saws of this style don't tension a 3/4" blade real well. But will tension a 1/2" blade just fine. I have & use a 1/2" Timberwolf blade. I also have a Woodslicer hanging on my wall that I haven't used yet it will be used just for re-sawing. I also have a 12" saw that I keep a 1/4" blade on for general use.

Thomas Meredith
08-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the replys there is really a wealth of information on this sight. I think I will save my $179.00 and get the cool blocks my only question is that I cannot find any listed for the powermatic 141 or 143 so does that mean that I have to get some blank ones and drill them out for my bolt hole pattern that holds the original blocks on
Thanks again
Tom

Christopher Pine
08-04-2007, 10:53 PM
I bit the bullet a few years ago and bought the carter bandsaw system. I could not be happier. If you can afford it I say get it. Howver there are those who like someone said just use cool blocks and adjust the saw well get probably just as good or better results.. I found it very easy to install and adjust.. Was the first time I had my saw cutting this strait. Of course a good quality blade was part of that upgrade.. makes all the difference in the world.

Chris

Alex Shanku
08-05-2007, 9:01 AM
Cool blocks aren't made for a 141/143. I plan on installing the carter system in my 141 as soon as I get my new shop up and running.

Larry Fox
08-05-2007, 10:08 AM
I have Carters on my MM16 and really like them. I have contemplated the upgrade on my 141 but have held off for the $$. I would be really interested in hearning about your experience should you upgrade.

Andrew Williams
08-05-2007, 10:34 AM
I found that Carter guides help immensely when cutting straight lines with a 1/2" blade. The difference is only slight when using the 3/16" blade.