PDA

View Full Version : Wood identification

Jay Yoder
08-03-2007, 7:49 PM
Hi all. I was given a bunch of logs, but am not sure what they actually are! i resawed one of them this evening and it has almost a black walnut look to it...the outside is very light to yellow with the core being a brown. The guy who gave it to me said the tree cutter told him it was Chinese maple...where can i find out what it is? it produced very fine dust and smells kinda funny. I know there is a scientific statement...anyhow...it is definately a hardwood, but am not sure what it is...

Jim Becker
08-03-2007, 9:35 PM
Jay, pictures of the wood and the bark would be helpful... ;)

Jude Kingery
08-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Jay, depending on where you are, you also might be able to ask your county extension agent to see about an id? Just a thought, good luck! Jude

Matt Campbell
08-04-2007, 8:06 AM
Hmmmm, looks like cherry to me. No wait, that could be maple.

:D:D:D

Jay Yoder
08-04-2007, 10:45 AM
I guess that was pretty dumb...i will try to take some pics of bark and wood and post later...i feel kinda silly!!! Guess it was blonde moment...

Gary Keedwell
08-04-2007, 11:01 AM
I guess that was pretty dumb...i will try to take some pics of bark and wood and post later...i feel kinda silly!!! Guess it was blonde moment...
Hey, I resent that:eek: ;) My first wife is a brunette, and I can tell you unequivocally, hair color has nothing to do with intelligence.:)
Gary K.

Jay Yoder
08-04-2007, 8:56 PM
Dude, i tend to agree with u on that one...although, if she knew i said that...i would be in big trouble!! oh well...nothing new there...

anyhow...i will try to attach these if i can...it cuts ok, just makes a heck of alot of fine dust...they are too big...now what do i do?