PDA

View Full Version : Well, I cut down the Cherry Tree !

Tom Keen
08-03-2007, 7:37 PM
Our barn help quit and I really needed a break from cleaning stalls. :) So, I decided to cut down the cherry tree that I mentioned in an earlier post.

I enjoy almost every part of wood turning, from the tree to the finishing.. great fun! And I had fun documenting this.

The tree is about 40 feet tall and 24 inches at the base. You can see the burly looking pieces starting about 10 feet up. The is a large scar on the opposite side and I suspect there is some interesting wood in there.

The grape vines are almost big enough to turn themselves.

The first thing I noticed was the variation and color of the wood. Lots of black lines along the growth rings. I dont know if its spalting or something else. And more color than Im used to seeing in cherry -

I roughed out the first 5 feet or so of the trunk and painted up the end of the log and left in the woods for another day.

69354 69355

And the wood! Its really pretty! Like I said, I dont know if there is any burl in this tree, but at the point I dont think I care that much.

Thanks for looking!
Tom

Ken Fitzgerald
08-03-2007, 7:39 PM
Tom....If you got cherry....burl would be nice....... but at least you've got cherry!:)

Don Eddard
08-03-2007, 8:00 PM
Congrats. That's some pretty wood.

Randy Dear
08-03-2007, 9:56 PM
I really like the way you documented the stages of the bowl, it is beautiful wood!

Mark Pruitt
08-03-2007, 10:25 PM
No doubt, you landed something very nice in felling that tree! Like you say, at this point it no longer matters whether there's actual burl or not. What is there is just plain PURDY!:D

Bernie Weishapl
08-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Wow Tom that is some pretty wood. Can't wait to see the bowl finished. Great haul.

Bill Grumbine
08-04-2007, 7:49 AM
Tom, that is some nice looking wood, burls or not. The black lines you are seeing are probably sap pockets, which are common in what we call wild cherry around here. The are not much desired in fine furniture, but make for some beautiful pieces, especially turnings.

Bill

Tom Sherman
08-04-2007, 8:32 AM
You've got some nice wood there for real, even without burls it's good for practice.

Dick Strauss
08-04-2007, 2:04 PM
You've got a black cherry tree there. The black lines are mineral deposits that make for a little extra interest in turned items.

Enjoy!

John Timberlake
08-04-2007, 4:10 PM
Thanks for posting the process. If the rest is as pretty as this piece, you will make a lot of great looking bowls out of that tree.