PDA

View Full Version : "Best" mobile base for TS?

David Tiell
08-03-2007, 6:14 PM
I bought a used Shop Fox TS today (mini-gloat; W1711 5hp single phase LT with 7' rails, like new for $680) and need to put it on a mobile base.

I realize any time one asks for suggestions on "the best" anything, it's like opening a can of worms, but, I read the FWW reviews for the one Grizzly makes, and they say of all the bases out tested, this is one of the most difficult to assemble and rated it only average for mobility, although very good for stability. Anyone got any other suggestions for mobile bases? It's going to be in a relatively small shop, so mobility is necessary.

Any input would be greatly appreciated,

DAve

Jim Thiel
08-03-2007, 6:40 PM
Although pricey, I love my HTC bases. You might find the one you need on Amazon, which will save some dough.

Jim

Loren Hedahl
08-03-2007, 6:42 PM
Since I am not particularly tall, I like most of my equipment lower than originally designed.

On my contractors saw I shortened the legs by about 8 inches then made a hardwood base and mounted 5 inch casters from Harbor Freight to the new base.

For most uses I like fixed casters on the rear and swivel on the front.

To keep the saw from "walking" during use, I wrap some short pieces of dacron rope around the wheel footprint. These hang off a peg on the saw when not needed.

Not the perfect solution, but works for me.

Loren

Chuck Lenz
08-03-2007, 8:50 PM
I would say HTC or Delta.

Burt Waddell
08-03-2007, 9:18 PM
I've had a unisaw setting on a HTC Stand since 1984 and it still moves easily. I vote for the HTC.

Jim Becker
08-03-2007, 9:33 PM
I also like the HTC welded bases...

Justin McCurdy
08-03-2007, 9:43 PM
I use a Delta base that has a welded extension frame to catch the extension table legs on the saw. I think amazon has had this for under $90 recently. The model is 50-289.

I think I paid about $100 more locally. I would buy it again if I had the oppertunity.