PDA

View Full Version : You have to appreciate this!

dan mahler
08-03-2007, 11:47 AM
Came across this listing when browsing:

Link to ebay removed

You have to appreciate this setup and the tools. Although the majority of the tools are older they are a work of art. When I first saw this I thought: 'Is this a museum display of a woodworking shop'? I find it a gorgeous shop.

Don Bullock
08-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Wow! I have to agree. It looks like a dream shop to me. Those "old" tools look fantastic compared to most of the machines sold today. I realize that having a shop like that doesn't make someone a "craftsman," but it sure would make woodworking easier and more of a joy than the shop I have now. While I'll never have a shop like that it's good for inspiration toward my goal of a good, well eqipped and organized shop.

Lou Morrissette
08-03-2007, 12:09 PM
This shop would probably bring a tear to Norm's eye.

Todd Jensen
08-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the inspiration.:cool: ....darn it. Thats setting the bar painfully high, but ya gotta love it.:)

Jason Beam
08-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Huh ... this is a re-list. I guess it didn't sell. I'd seen it up on ebay probably a month or more ago ... hard to sell the whole dang thing as one big chunk, i'm guessing.

Michael Schwartz
08-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Everything seems to be restored and in beautifull shape too :cool:

Dan Lee
08-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Wow nice shop. Anybody see in there why they're selling?

Sean Troy
08-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Yep, thats a dream shop. The only thing that seemed a little out of place was the DC unit. Not that it's a bad unit, just seems small for that kind of shop and I didn't see any blast gates.

Matt Day
08-03-2007, 12:51 PM
It would take me about 2 hours to have all those benches covered with tools and parts!

Quite an amazing shop though... one day, one day.

Mike Langford
08-03-2007, 1:35 PM
Huh ... this is a re-list. I guess it didn't sell. I'd seen it up on ebay probably a month or more ago ... hard to sell the whole dang thing as one big chunk, i'm guessing.

Here's the older listings (note the lower price!)
Link to ebay removed
and
Link to ebay removed

Ebay shut those listings down because he was asking for donations for his older brother who has Hodgkins Lymphoma.....

This shop was listed many month back and all the equipment was at a different location (maybe his older brother's shop?) Asking price back then was 43,000.00!

I wish I had the money to buy this shop....not only to help out a fellow woodworker in need, but to own all that vintage machinery....they don't make 'em like that anymore!!!

Scott Shevnock
08-03-2007, 1:55 PM
View sellers other items...it's crazy, he's got two identical shops up for auction...:D

Randy Klein
08-03-2007, 2:25 PM
Asking price back then was 43,000.00!

Well time has passed so the equipment is more vintage. That's probably why the price increased.

Alan Tolchinsky
08-03-2007, 2:48 PM
I'm speechless! Only in my dreams.

Jack Hogoboom
08-03-2007, 4:54 PM
I'm definitely not worthy. I'd ruin all of it inside a week.

I wish I had that kind of organizational ability....:eek:

Jim O'Dell
08-03-2007, 5:28 PM
This guy has had several of these "shops" for sale over the years. Story I've heard on the forums is that he buys the old machines and refurbishes them, then sells them as a complete shop. The first one I saw that he listed a couple years ago didn't have the clamps, and such. Evidently he enjoys rebuilding the equipment. Appears that he does a good job of it by the pictures. Jim.

Kendall Landry
08-03-2007, 6:39 PM
Love that big assembly table.:D

Craig D Peltier
08-03-2007, 8:12 PM
Slightly off topic, but whats does someone do with such a long edge sander?
Its like a sandpaper jointer on its side?
I mean I used to use them in HS but , I dont ever say boy I wish I had one of those right now!

That is a cool shop!

Steve Clardy
08-03-2007, 8:54 PM
Slightly off topic, but whats does someone do with such a long edge sander?
Its like a sandpaper jointer on its side?
I mean I used to use them in HS but , I dont ever say boy I wish I had one of those right now!

That is a cool shop!

I use mine for cabinet door edges. Smoothes them glue joints right up.

Craig Thompson
08-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Hmmmmm..... Something doesn't look right.... Can throw some sawdust around or something:D

Steven Wilson
08-03-2007, 11:20 PM
I'm not that impressed with the shop. It looks good but it also looks as if no piece of wood has ever been cut in it. As for the machines, some of them look nice but are fairly run of mill (a Unisaw is a Unisaw a Northfield or Oliver it's not). Some of tables look nice but I'm not sure of the advisability of having router bits out in the open to rust, drop on the floor, or cut your legs. All in all a nice display but not real. Is it worth the money? I'd say no

Craig D Peltier
08-03-2007, 11:35 PM
I use mine for cabinet door edges. Smoothes them glue joints right up.
Edges huh, I guess for long pieces that you want to round edges on.I remember using it as a 16 yr old and how I thought "wow this thing looks like it could give you a nice rash real easy"

Bruce Page
08-03-2007, 11:52 PM
Steve, Bah, Humbug!
In my next lifetime I’m coming back rich and that’s my shop!

Michael Schwartz
08-04-2007, 12:05 AM
I think it is all worth more like 25,000

Alex Elias
08-04-2007, 4:58 AM
I must agree that the shop looks very nice but $49000. I think I can get more and better tools with that much dinero

Rich Torino
08-04-2007, 5:28 AM
Now that's a shop.... I have never seen anything so neat and organized, looks more like an operating room.

Steve Clardy
08-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Edges huh, I guess for long pieces that you want to round edges on.I remember using it as a 16 yr old and how I thought "wow this thing looks like it could give you a nice rash real easy"

Yea. Don't let your fingers stray from your work piece. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Jim Dunn
08-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Interests me that all the antique/older equipment there is a new slider Makita. Makes me feel like I'm slightly worthy. I've got the same slider:)

Chris Kalkowski
08-05-2007, 1:40 AM
View sellers other items...it's crazy, he's got two identical shops up for auction...:D

It is not two items-- the first is what is called a FEATURED ITEM then they repeat it as a regular auction.

Joe Jensen
08-05-2007, 2:39 AM
Really nice old machines, but the shop looks like its put together for show, or perhaps by someone who is more about having nice tools than about using them...joe

Tim Shetler
08-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Hello all ! This is the 5th shop collection that I have restored and marketed in the last 5 years. You are right in assuming that this is kind of a "showroom" shop. It was collected and restored to sell but please don't be confused about the quality of the tools and/or the legitimacy of the auction. I have been a woodworker/carpenter my entire life. Sadly, I just don't enjoy woodworking that much any more. I guess that I am just burned out on it. I do however enjoy restoring the older american equipment and seeing newcomers get excited about the trade. My pet peve these days is walking through the tool isle at the local lumber yard or any store for that matter and seeing all the crap from China that they pass off as tools. I admit that I have added a few import pieces in these collections but I am very picky about the ones that I choose. My mission is to restore as many of the older american machines that I can get my hands on and sell them to people who appeciate the quality that once was the norm in this country. I think it is high time we all take a good hard look at the decline of quality in everything that we buy and exactly where it is being imported from. Unfortunately, alot of the products are made in communist China. I feel that if we don't take steps now to take back our country, before long there will be nothing to take back.
As far as the price, I have sold 4 collections in this price range with no complaints at all. At 49K, there is not much profit for the time that I spend restoring and tuning these machines but there is the satisfaction knowing that these machines will now live and serve for generations to come.
Sincerely,
Tim Shetler

PS. Sorry if I came off a bit political.

Jon Shively
08-05-2007, 3:22 PM
I didn't think you sounded political. Seeing something like that makes most of us drool and dream. As you state, today's dealings aren't all above board any longer so many of us have learned to be very very wary! Your input set the record straight for me and enjoyed hearing it. Also understand your position as I have been shoeing horses for thirty years and have grown weary of being beaten up by the horses so took my knowledge and prefer to work with the iron using a torch or forge. Your knowledge through working with wood creates an opportunity for you to rebuild and properly set up machines in a working fashion.
Just out of curiosity, do you have the books/specs for these machines for the buyer then?

Tim Shetler
08-05-2007, 5:38 PM
Jon,
Yes, I have the docs for most of these machines. Most of the Delta docs are available for downloading at the OWWM site. I encourage anyone that downloads from that site to donate generously to them. They have put together a huge amount of valuable info that has helped thousands out there. My hat goes off to Keith Bohn, Keith Rucker, Bob Vaughn and many others who have helped put that site together and keep it up and running.
Tim

Mike Langford
08-05-2007, 10:40 PM
Tim, you're a bit of a mandolin connoisseur too, aren't you?

Bob Feeser
08-05-2007, 11:07 PM
Tim,
Could you post the pictures of the shop here, I just logged in and missed the eBay link while it was active. With everyone drooling all over the place, I wanted to drool too. I have an old 1948 Walker Turner Band Saw Metal/Wood that I love. The gear driven motor still works well. It was in great shape when I got it, but needed refinishing, and a good tune up alignment. It's all cast iron, everything including the wheel covers. I think it weighs around 525 pounds. I called Delta, since they bought Walker Turner, and they said, by the serial number it was one of the last ones made.

First the before shot, then the restored pictures follow.
http://inlinethumb53.webshots.com/4468/2802691790100733997S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb38.webshots.com/2789/2917692780100733997S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb49.webshots.com/5360/2100747380100733997S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb07.webshots.com/5382/2959895410100733997S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb17.webshots.com/5584/2027978870100733997S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb23.webshots.com/5270/2604299310100733997S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb12.webshots.com/4299/2679830560100733997S600x600Q85.jpg

I also have an old Delta large belt sanding station, not exactly sure what year it is, but very old for sure. It creeps a setting when you adjust the side to side alignment of the belt. Maybe it needs bearings, or is it something else? You appear to be the one to ask about that. While using it, I keep an eye on the belt, and readjust on the fly if I need to.

Looking forward to the pics.

Tim Shetler
08-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Tim, you're a bit of a mandolin connoisseur too, aren't you?

Hi Mike, Yes, I guess that you could say that. I have played guitar since I was 11. I bought my first mandolin at age 43 and haven't hardly picked up a guitar since. They are quite an addicting little instrument. I wish that I had started playing when I was younger. I really admire the guys who are custom building high-end mandolins. They are quite a work of art.
Tim

Tim Shetler
08-06-2007, 12:28 AM
Bob,
First, I have to say, very nice job on the restoration of the Walker Turner. That looks like a great piece. I have yet to own one of thier bandsaws myself.
In order for your Delta beltsander to track properly, you need to make sure that the drive pulley is crowned. It doesn't hurt if the idler is crowned also but most of them are flat. However, if either pulley is concave in the middle at all, the sander will not track properly. Usually, the idler is the culprit. They tend to wear in the middle which of course leaves the edges high, which in turn allows the belt to wander.
To stay within the rules here at SMC, I will send you a link on the back channel of my collection.
Tim

Mike Langford
08-06-2007, 12:37 AM
Hi Mike, Yes, I guess that you could say that. I have played guitar since I was 11. I bought my first mandolin at age 43 and haven't hardly picked up a guitar since. They are quite an addicting little instrument. I wish that I had started playing when I was younger. I really admire the guys who are custom building high-end mandolins. They are quite a work of art.
Tim

I too am a guitar player and I fell in love with the sound,shape,and construction of the mandolin......So I've been (sloooooowly) trying to building a F-style mandolin from scratch......obtaining and building the tools,jigs,and knowledge needed.
69510 69511 69513

I love building mandolins because they challenge you with a little carving,a little inlay,some wood shaping,some wood bending,lots of trim and detailing.........They ARE works of Art and Sculpture too!

btw - Is that a Michael Heiden?

Tim Shetler
08-06-2007, 12:56 AM
Looks like it is coming along nicely. I have toyed with building one but would like to apprentice under someone like Heiden to learn it properly.
And yes, that is Heiden #23 1996. With deep regret, I sold that mando just recently. It was incredible. The guy that bought it already owned a Collings MF5 Varnish and a Gibson MM but he was totally blown away by the Heiden. Michael is a talented builder and a great person as well.
Tim