PDA

View Full Version : How to finish this project?

Matt Day
08-03-2007, 9:04 AM
I'm finishing up the constructin of a side table. Since this table will be in our living room, it will probably see a lot of glasses and will be susceptible to water rings even with my best attempts to have people use coasters.

The other trick here is that I want an EASY application. I'm still struggling with rubbing out a table I made and brushed on Rockhard varnish; I DO NOT want to do that again.

The table is made of maple and curly maple, and I'd like to keep the natural look/color of the wood while popping the curl. And I don't want much yellowing.

Is there is a simple wipe on product that will do the job? Even if it requires numerous coats? Waterlox maybe? I don't have the ability to spray anything. Can I wipe on Behlen's Rockhard and build it up sufficiently to give it protection?

Thanks

Steve Schoene
08-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Yes, you can thin and apply multiple coats of the Rockhard. If you use the "conventional" 1-1 thinner to varnish ratio, it will probably take about 3 coats of wipe on to equal 1 coat of brushed on. Waterlox also makes wipe on finishes that work well.

Matt Day
08-03-2007, 10:40 AM
Since I've already got Rockhard and its special thinner, I'm leaning that way. Thanks Steve.