PDA

View Full Version : Garage Siding Question

Bob Moyer
08-03-2007, 8:19 AM
I am installing T1-11 siding, the total height of the wall is 9'; would you or how would you cover the seam between the 8' piece and the 1' piece/ Also,any suggestions for finishing the inside and outside corners.

Thank you.

BTW: the siding is being applied to the inside of the garage.

Marty Rose
08-03-2007, 8:44 AM
Bob, I am doing the same, only on the outside of our home. I started on one corner only to find out the other side was 9ft. Well I made a filler strip 1 1/4 wide (to cover the gap 1/32 of an inch), out of the same siding. Used a roundover router bit to round over the top and bottom and made a good looking strip, painted the same TUPE COLOR and it is hardly noticable. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

Bob Wingard
08-03-2007, 9:05 AM
Use Hardi-Panel instead .. .. better product, and it comes in 5'X9' sheets.

It is bug-resistant, won't absorb water, won't rot, won't burn.

It is what I used for "paneling" inside my new shop. Looks great, comes pre-primed, and paint is supposed to last (exterior application) upwards of 20 years. I am totally sold on this stuff. For my application (10' ceilings) I ran a "band" of drywall 2' wide around the entire shop at the ceiling, then used 4'X8' panels to do the rest. Covered the horizontal joint with some home made trim.

Ken Werner
08-03-2007, 9:15 AM
There's a z strip made of metal just for that purpose.

Ken

Rod Torgeson
08-03-2007, 9:40 AM
Like Ken said there is a "Z" drip flashing that comes in different thicknesses for that application. I believe they cost around 5 to 6 bucks for a 10 foot strip. You can get them at most lumber stores. Hope this helps.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Jamie Buxton
08-03-2007, 10:23 AM
My lumber yard stocks T111 in both 8' and 9' lengths.

Scott Loven
08-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Why not just drywall it assuming you are going to drywall the ceiling? You could make up some molding to cover the transition from the drywall to the T-11.
Scott

Bob Moyer
08-03-2007, 12:01 PM
I was not interested in drywall, Lowes did not handle the T1-11 in 9', the local lumber yard want 3x the $$$ for the 8' so I did not inquire as to the cost of the 9'.

Since I am not painting it, I did not like the Hardies material. I did hide the seam at the front of the garage by putting the 1' piece at the bottom, the cabinets hide the seam.