PDA

View Full Version : Wood Turning Wizardry

Pete Simmons
08-03-2007, 7:59 AM
Anybody ever make one of these?

No I did not try one. I got the picture from the web. About my most complex turning is a pen.

Just wondering if any of you turners ever did one of these.

If so - please post some pictures.

Tim Malyszko
08-03-2007, 8:04 AM
Now that is one complicated looking turning. I would love to see how one is done.

Pete Simmons
08-03-2007, 8:55 AM
There is a book

Woodturning Wizardy by David Spinert (spelling is wrong)

That shows how to make them.

Tools, jigs and instruction. Just add skill!

Rich Stewart
08-03-2007, 9:03 AM
I saw a couple of these in a museum in Taiwan that were handcarved out of ivory. Mind-blowing.

Jerry Allen
08-03-2007, 9:55 AM
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=869112382&isbn=1861084226

Bill Wyko
08-03-2007, 3:14 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but I've been reading a book about it. It seems dificult but with the tools available for it, do-able:D . It's on my to do list.:rolleyes: I believe the book mentioned above is the one I have.

Rich Stewart
08-03-2007, 3:26 PM
Dat must be a real booger to sand.

joe greiner
08-04-2007, 11:18 AM
Here's another doozie:

http://perso.orange.fr/robert.bosco/modeleen.htm

The menu on the left has instructions for "How to make special pieces." The "Chinese balls" are a lot like Pete's post; the "spheres" are interlocked. The instructions themselves are in French, but the illustrations are complete enough to muddle through if you can't translate. Most (if not all) of the instructions have a link to a downloadable pdf file (right click, save target as). They're also in French, but again clear enough without translation.

Bon tours (or something like that).

Joe

Bill Wyko
08-04-2007, 12:53 PM
I've seen the tools to do it in one of the woodwork catalogs. Possibly Rockler or Woodcraft.

joe greiner
08-04-2007, 8:42 PM
I've seen the tools to do it in one of the woodwork catalogs. Possibly Rockler or Woodcraft.

Craft Supplies USA (2007). Page 15.

Joe

Gordon Seto
08-04-2007, 9:17 PM
I saw a couple of these in a museum in Taiwan that were handcarved out of ivory. Mind-blowing.

Have you seen the one that is displayed in the National Museum in Taipei? I think that was twenty some layers, each layer was pierced and rotates individually (that was what it said). No picture taking was allowed.

The workmanship was amazing. That was before Oneway lathe and high speed turbine hand pierce carving tools. Even if each layer was made up of half sphere, they had one heck of good glue. No glue joints after hundreds of years.

BTW, that is a place worth going to. Some of the thousands year old pottery already had the pleasing shapes that woodturners are still regarded them good today.

Gordon

Curt Fuller
08-04-2007, 10:02 PM
I saw a pretty large collection of those when I visited the gallery at the Provo Woodturning Symposium. They baffled me as to how they were done but they sure are cool.

Pat Salter
08-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Fred Holder taught a class on how to do that at the 2006 Utah Woodturning Symposium. It takes special tools (aren't you surprised). the afore mentioned book (woodturning wizardry) tells how to make the tools.
and yes, they are awesome.