PDA

View Full Version : A Torsion Box Possibility

Keith Starosta
01-22-2004, 5:22 PM
I have a neighbor who is a Gunnery Sgt. in the Marines. He is an MP, in charge of the brigg(sp?) at Quantico Marine Base. Last night, he knocked on my door and told me to come out to his truck. In the bed was the door to one of the cells being refurbished. It was an honest-to-goodness jail cell door. He asked if I could use it. I thought, "What the hell am I going to do with a cell door?" Then it hit me, and I told him I'd think about it. Below are two drawings, one showing the actual dimensions of the door, and the second how I would box it in for one hell of a sturdy and flat torsion box. I'd use it close to the ground, as a cabinet-type assemblt area. I'd have to attach some pretty heavy-duty casters, since this thing weighs around 300lbs.
:eek:

Any ideas on how to attach the plywood to the iron door? :confused:

I know it's kinda strange, but it might be an interesting shop conversation piece, no?

Ed Falis
01-23-2004, 2:30 PM
Keith,

If it's flat enough, that would be pretty cool.

- Ed

Chris Padilla
01-23-2004, 2:39 PM
Exactly my thoughts...if it is flat or flat enough. Pick yourself up a nice straight-edge from Starrett...invaluable tool.

Lay a sheet of material on top of it and check it for flatness. I wonder if you'll need any furring material? You know, to bring it all up so that a sheet would contact it at all points of the grid?

Steve Inniss
01-23-2004, 5:47 PM
Keith,
Certainly a conversation piece, yes. But, is it really worth what would be a lot of trouble. Just minding your business;) -Steve

Terry Quiram
01-23-2004, 6:26 PM
Holy cow Keith. I thought the idea of a torsion box was to have a large, sturdy, flat composite that didn't weigh a ton. Looks like you are going the wrong direction. :D It would however make a very interesting grape arbor.

Terry

Pat Salter
02-22-2004, 6:00 PM
I'm not sure about the bottom sheet, but the top could be fastened with pipe straps. I'm more interested in the brigg thing (yes, that's the right spelling), I work at the brigg at Camp Pendleton and we just had a Master Sargent become a Master Gunnery Sargent and he's going there to Quantico to be the warden. small world.

Daniel Rabinovitz
02-23-2004, 3:50 PM
Keith
How about, just drill and tape for flat head machine screws?
Or is it case hardened? or some special steel?
Well that's my $0.02 worth.
Daniel :cool:

Jim VanBramer
04-06-2004, 2:36 PM
Ah, come on Keith ... just use it to keep the riff-raff outta your shop!!! ;)

Dan Mages
04-28-2004, 8:03 PM
A tortion box? Um.... Im a newbie, and Im not familiar to what you are referring to. Would mind explaining this device to me?

Now to attach the plywood to the door. Do you need a flat surface? If not, you can use some U bolts.

Dan

Jim Becker
04-28-2004, 8:41 PM
A tortion box? Um.... Im a newbie, and Im not familiar to what you are referring to. Would mind explaining this device to me?

Now to attach the plywood to the door. Do you need a flat surface? If not, you can use some U bolts.

DanDan, take a look at the pictures higher up on this thread for a complete "internals" on a torsion box. The idea is to have a lightweight, but extremely strong and flat structure. A thin skin over the structure shown in the diagrams provides that. Of course...you wouldn't be using an iron door for the internals in that case! Just wood.

Keith Starosta
04-29-2004, 6:07 AM
Dan, take a look at the pictures higher up on this thread for a complete "internals" on a torsion box. The idea is to have a lightweight, but extremely strong and flat structure. A thin skin over the structure shown in the diagrams provides that. Of course...you wouldn't be using an iron door for the internals in that case! Just wood.

That's right. I gave up this idea almost immidiately after posting the thread. In theory, it would have been kinda cool, but practically speaking....not so much.
:rolleyes:

Keith