PDA

View Full Version : Delta Midi Lathe Question

Curt Fuller
08-02-2007, 10:48 PM
I've been thinking of getting a mini lathe for turning small things so I don't have to re-rig my big lathe every time. I found this Delta for what seems to be a really good price. Anybody use one of these and know if this is as good a deal as it looks? It's also about an hour from home so I could pick it up cheaper than having it shipped.

http://timberlinetools.com/category_s/877.htm

What do ya think?

Bernie Weishapl
08-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Curt you can't go wrong with that lathe. I had mine for almost two years and was a great little lathe. I got mine off the big auction site for $150 and it was 2 1/2 yrs. old when I got it. It never had a dimes worth of trouble with it. I gave it to my nephew for Christmas since he has been coming over and turning with me. You can't go wrong IMHO.

Steven Wilson
08-02-2007, 11:17 PM
It's a good lathe. I had one for a couple of years before I bought my Oneway. Nice price too.

Brian Brown
08-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Curt,

I really like my Delta midi. I have nothing else to compare it to since it is my first, and for a long time to come, only lathe. It has never given me any trouble, but as long as your not turning anything larger than about 9" diameter, it is a great little lathe. When turning a near maximum (10") diameter item, the tool rest base gets in the way of the wood, and/or the tailstock base since the quill is so short. This is the only drawback I see to turning vessels on this lathe.

Brian

Patrick Taylor
08-03-2007, 12:05 AM
When I got my jet mini the only difference the sales guy could point out between it and the delta was the switch position. We all know the Jet mini's are well liked and spec-wise the delta is essentially the same.

Marvin Hasenak
08-03-2007, 12:54 AM
I have both the Delta Midi and the Jet Mini, both are good lathes but I prefer the Delta, easier to change speeds. I make game calls and step drill the barrel on the lathe, with the ruler on the quill I can drill with out having to stop and measure. Also the tailstock quill operates a little smoother than on the Jet.

Marvin

Bill Blasic
08-03-2007, 8:05 AM
That is a very good price for the Delta, I've got one and it has given me no problems. Go for it!

Jim Bell
08-03-2007, 8:13 PM
Had mine nearly 5 yrs. Replaced headstock bearings a while back. Built like a tank. I prefer it to the Jet for speed changes and on-off switch location. For $175.00 I'd buy it.