PDA

View Full Version : Curly's Ant Farm

George Guadiane
08-02-2007, 10:45 PM
My friend Ron is a top notch turner, and I think he is turning into a snob.
I dragged him (almost kicking and screaming) to a "discovery." We started chopping away at this gigantic tree trunk, and I cut out this part, ants crawling all over it...I was TRYING to be nice when I offered it to him, he wasn't finding anything that he wanted to use (I had found quite a bit).
He said "I'm not going to turn that Ant Farm!!!" I told him there was some nice curl in it, and he said "I DON'T CARE." so I turned it, holes and all, ants flying everywhere.
I thought it was pretty cool.
Wood: Curly Ash
Finish: Water based Poly
Diameter: 7 1/2 inches
Height: 2 3/8 inches
All comments and critiques welcome

Ken Fitzgerald
08-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Holey smokes...George.....That's just plain pretty! The grain is awsome and I really like the form and finish!

Mike A. Smith
08-02-2007, 10:56 PM
I like it George! I'm not sure I would have had the guts to turn one that was still moving...

Ken Fitzgerald
08-02-2007, 10:57 PM
Centrifugal force will throw the ants off.....worms are a different story:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Bernie Weishapl
08-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Wow George that is a beauty. I really like that wood. Form and finish are great.

joe greiner
08-03-2007, 6:44 AM
You bet it's cool, George. As they say, "If it won't hold soup, it's art." I hope you were able to herd most of the ants outdoors; or, um, "elsewhere."

Joe

Steve Schlumpf
08-03-2007, 9:08 AM
Man! That's an impressive looking bowl! Great wood, form and finish! Very nice work! Next time your friend will listen to you!

TYLER WOOD
08-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Yup my first bowl was a hickory ant farm. Looked real similar to yours except the form on your is better

Mark Pruitt
08-03-2007, 11:11 AM
....I turned it, holes and all, ants flying everywhere.
I thought it was pretty cool......
ROFL!!!!
I think I might have been a little apprehensive at the thought of ants crawling all over me after being ejected; otherwise that's fun to imagine.

Nice piece BTW. Your snobbish friend lost out. Tell 'im to lighten up a bit.:p

Jim Becker
08-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Some of the most incredible pieces I have seen have been totally ant-condo influenced...your friend is missing out! Nice job on this piece, and despite the ants' protests, do a few more!

Tom Sherman
08-03-2007, 4:32 PM
Great bowl nice figure in that Ash.

Joyce Baldauf
08-03-2007, 5:42 PM
Your friend's loss is most definitely your gain! Beautiful bowl.

Bill Wyko
08-03-2007, 5:49 PM
I agree with everyone. It turned out very nice. Tell your friend to take his dress off, give it back to the wife and put some jeans on and go get some beautiful wood:eek: :D JK.

Barry Elder
08-03-2007, 8:19 PM
Yes Sir! That wood has a lot of style! I love ant and termite farms. A great turning with a tricky piece of wood.

George Guadiane
08-03-2007, 8:25 PM
Centrifugal force will throw the ants off.....worms are a different story:eek: :rolleyes: :D
Worms fly too, usually just in pieces! :o

George Guadiane
08-03-2007, 8:26 PM
Man! That's an impressive looking bowl! Great wood, form and finish! Very nice work! Next time your friend will listen to you!
Sadly, I can say with confidence, "NO, he won't."
He's a great guy and a good friend, but "never" wrong. :rolleyes:

George Guadiane
08-03-2007, 8:29 PM
Not sure he will EVER listen, but I'm just as glad.
Thank you for your kind words.
See you "round."