PDA

View Full Version : 1st HF

Mike A. Smith
08-02-2007, 10:43 PM
I've finally finished my first HF. It's silver maple 5.25" x 3.25", the opening is 1.75", finish is antique oil and wax. My own critique after I got it off the lathe is that the bottom should have had a sharper taper. Instead of the elegant I was looking for, I think it looks a bit "squat".

Your critiques and comments are welcome.

Full disclosure: the thickness at the top is .25", but after the first major curve the it goes to a little over .5" (I think). I found out that my single end calipers wouldn't make the curve. Double-ends are due to arrive Monday and the next one will be uniform.

Bernie Weishapl
08-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Mike I would say for your first one it is mighty fine. I wish my first one looked like that. You did a great job on it and I agree I would have did the foot a little different but you will get there with more experience. Keep that one so you can compare a year or so down the road. Well done.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Mike ....very nice 1st HF.....

What kind of a HF system are you using? If you are using one of the captured systems....with a little wood, screws and a cheap laser pointer from one of the office supply places or even Walmart, you could make yourself a laser attachment and do away with those calipers. I just bought a Jamieson with the laser attachment. It was incredibly easy to turn to 1/8"-3/16" thickness without measuring....Incredibly easy!

George Guadiane
08-02-2007, 10:58 PM
Personally, I like the form... We all seem to be our own worst critic.

Mike A. Smith
08-02-2007, 11:08 PM
What kind of a HF system are you using?

No system, just a bowl gouge and a Sorby multi-tip.

joe greiner
08-03-2007, 6:57 AM
I'm with George. I has a nicely flowing profile, and "squats" just right. Pointy ends just don't look as good to me.

Joe

Shannon Grizzell
08-03-2007, 7:41 AM
Mike,
I only recently posted my first hollow form, so I'm no expert, but I'd say you did a fine job.

Steve Schlumpf
08-03-2007, 9:05 AM
Mike - I think you did a great job for your first HF! Nothing wrong with the form! Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Jim Becker
08-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Mike, excellent job on your first.

From a suggestion standpoint, when you view your form from the side, such as in the middle picture, you'll see that the sides somewhat "flat" out, rather than provide a continuous flowing curve from the shoulder. That tends to make this type of form feel "heavy". Taking a a bit more material as you develop the form will change the feel to sleek and balanced...that continuous curve is pretty important to that. Here's a doctored picture that shows your original form on the right and something closer to what I'm talking about on the left. (Note that the curve still isn't quite right, but it's hard to draw it out quickly)

Note the difference in the "feel" of each side of the form now. I did nothing to the top shoulder...it's pretty good as-is. I only worked on the curve below the break.

To work this out, take some scrap chunks of wood and turn forms with variations on the theme...paint them flat black...and set them on a shelf next to each other so you can stand back and compare. Pick the best and do a few more that are similar while you refine the form. Repeat. Then do the best of the best in the "good wood"! Prototypes are good in turning, too... ;)

Neal Addy
08-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Mike, this is really nice! I think the form is really good for a first or any HF.

I'm looking forward to seeing your next one. Keep 'em coming!

Mark Pruitt
08-03-2007, 1:23 PM
I wouldn't be too hard on yourself about the form....the important thing is, you got the first one completed and now you're in the game!:cool:

I agree with Jim's analysis of the form and ditto his suggestions. I always have to stop turning at intervals and stare for a while to see where I need to cut more, cut less, etc. I'll even stand with my head sideways at times...if someone walks in they usually ask me if I need help.:p :rolleyes:

I started with the same tool you used. I still use it some, but my captive hollowing rig has served me very well for the three months I've had it. I strongly recommend one.

Of course, if you're like me the one thing that you will always find yourself hollowing more of is your wallet.:p

Mike A. Smith
08-03-2007, 1:41 PM
Thanks Jim (and everyone) for your comments. Jim, your doctored pic is exactly what was in my head! In fact, I had the form somewhere in between the two before I had a 'chucking issue' prior to hollowing that ended up with the whole thing rolling across the shop. When I re-chucked I was off by a bit and had to re-turn the outside and didn't do it as consistently has I should have. I'm still having some trouble picturing the upright form when it's on the lathe. I keep unscrewing the chuck to stand it up so I can get a look from several feet away.

Again, many thanks for the kind comments and the good advice!

Bill Wyko
08-03-2007, 2:16 PM
If that's your first I'd say you're a natural. Nice job, especially for your first.:)

Tom Sherman
08-03-2007, 4:50 PM
I like it nice first effort Mike.

Ed Scolforo
08-03-2007, 6:22 PM
You show alot of promise, Mike. I can't wait to see the next one!

Jim Becker
08-03-2007, 6:46 PM
I'm still having some trouble picturing the upright form when it's on the lathe. I keep unscrewing the chuck to stand it up so I can get a look from several feet away.

Take a piece of black card stock, put it behind the piece (lathe turned off) and look at it with your eyes slightly de-focused so you're not concentrating on the figure in the wood but rather looking at the edge. Constantly mounting and remounting can lead to, umm...Murphy smiling upon you.

And make sure that you have shoulder on the tenon for the top of the chuck jaws to sit against. It's more stable, stronger and safer.

Mike A. Smith
08-03-2007, 8:30 PM
And make sure that you have shoulder on the tenon for the top of the chuck jaws to sit against. It's more stable, stronger and safer.

Unfortunately this one was strictly glue block. I received the my new Nova G3 too late for this project. I like the idea of the black background, I'll definitely try that next time around. Thanks!

Jim Becker
08-03-2007, 9:11 PM
No problem with the glue-block, Mike...you just leave the finishing of the bottom until the bitter end after hollowing and reversal on a jam chuck between centers. Perfectly valid and great way to turn! Price is right, too.