PDA

View Full Version : Just a few pics

Thad Nickoley
08-02-2007, 9:50 PM
I sure havn't mastered marble but this one turned out OK, if I get the pics in... and a wood shot.

all thanks to the help I get here.

Dave Sinkus
08-02-2007, 10:57 PM
That is some great looking work.
How long does it take the laser to etch or burn or laser the wood picture?
I'm curious because I like the computer side of the process and definately enjoy the beautiful end products.

Thanks for sharing your work.

Frank Corker
08-03-2007, 4:58 AM
Thad I think your wood plaque is excellent, turned out near perfect, the marble one is very close to perfect.

If I might make a bold suggestion, try and smooth down the outline of the dog, you don't need to see it. The mind and eyes are a beautiful thing, they will automatically add anything that is missing, the reason why when we see a 3/4 moon we are still able to know it's a circle. Artistic licence will allow you to put a hint of highlighting on points where light does not actually reach, in the case of the dog, on it's black and tail. The suggestion of light will enhance the picture to be a realistic capture of the subject, where a bold edge all the way around gives appearance of being cut out and stuck on.

It's my opinion some may disagree.

Mike Null
08-03-2007, 7:13 AM
I noticed the same thing and believe Frank's suggestion to be a good one.

Contrast is excellent on the marble but what happened to the rest of the guitar?

Brian Robison
08-03-2007, 8:10 AM
That's the 3/4 student model.;)
Thad, did you invert the picture on the black marble?

Joni Campbell
08-04-2007, 9:34 AM
I can hardly wait till I get this far with my machine and start engraving ;) I am still in the cut mode....I will show my first piece and I guarantee that thad's is perfect :) Great Job Thad, and I also see what Frank is saying about the outline...Thank you Frank, this will help me when I start this

Thad Nickoley
08-04-2007, 6:38 PM
Thanks for the kind words.

I agree with you 100% Frank. I will pay some attention to that next time.
The photo of the dog was inverted and processed on photograve. The rest of the guitar was lost while editing people out of the origanal pic. I believe that the time on the wood plaque was around 12 minutes.

You'll impress us as well as yourself Joni... Cant wait.

Stanley Waldrup
08-04-2007, 6:53 PM
Frank I to am just starting out and agree with what your have said. Now my question is to a New Guy. How would you go about softening the edges?
Thanks
Stanley

Frank Corker
08-04-2007, 7:05 PM
In most programs you will find a smudge tool, use that from the inside going outwards very gently and it will cause a soft edge. Or you can use the blur tool to take off the sharp edges

Ray Rouleau
08-04-2007, 7:27 PM
Thought they came out great! What type of wood was used ?

Thad Nickoley
08-04-2007, 7:46 PM
Its Ader, just about the perfect wood for engraving. Most other woods have pesonalities but Alder is always consistant.

Bob Cole
08-04-2007, 11:42 PM
Those are great. I'm one of those artistically challenged and wouldn't have thought about the "smudge". It is great to have these kinds of suggestions. So far, I haven't done anything good enough to be "creek" worthy. Well, maybe I can post the acrylic replacement knob that I did so I can turn the fan up and down on my 94 Ford Ranger (the original knob broke :( ).

For the Easel/stand, did you create that or is that one from posts on the creek?

Stephen Beckham
08-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Also - a high transparency setting in the regular paint brush or the eraser can give you faded edges...

Carefull though - it will show the background. I use this method when I want a set-in look because the background and foreground merge - but if you don't want that, Frank's method is the best.

Frank Corker
08-05-2007, 2:59 PM
.....So far, I haven't done anything good enough to be "creek" worthy. Well, maybe I can post the acrylic replacement knob that I did so I can turn the fan up and down on my 94 Ford Ranger (the original knob broke :( ).?

Bob, you should not think of people who post be in exhalted positions, you should post what you have done to see how everyone else percieves your work without fear or intimidation. Personally I would love to see your acrylic replacement for the fan of your Ranger!

Stephen Beckham
08-05-2007, 6:17 PM
Its Ader, just about the perfect wood for engraving. Most other woods have pesonalities but Alder is always consistant.

Thad,

I concur with the Alder comments - the only drawback is that Alder will allow color fill to run under the finished surface (Old English or Black Leather Dye) since it is a softer species of the Birch family.

If you really want some good color, raise you DPI for a dark deep burn - gives a nice contrast to the light colored surface. I also played with the 3D function agains the Alder - seemed to like it very well - had a lot of residue to clean up though...

Steve