PDA

View Full Version : Woodrat plungebar/Freud FT2200 question...

Greg Koenker
08-02-2007, 9:44 PM
I just managed to buy a used woodrat on ebay and am planning to use it with my Freud FT2200 router, but am unclear whether the plungebar that Woodrat recommends (and sells) fits a FT2200. I see that they sell one for the Freud FT2000, but I'm not familiar with that model. Does anyone know if the plunge mechanism and positioning of the mechanism is the same on the two Freuds? It seems the 2200 is an upgraded 2000, but I can't seem to find pics comparing the two. Thanks for any help!

Gary Curtis
08-02-2007, 10:56 PM
The American distributor for WoodRat is Lewis Stepp, at 513 233-9019. He might be off at a show over weekends, so in addition to the telephone, send an email from their website CHIPSFLY.com.

That same website includes (bottom right of screen) a forum for questions such as yours. Another forum can be found at woodrat.com. This is the English forum. Another invaluable source of info is at aldel.co.uk . Contains innovative fixtures and jigs.

I suspect that Freud routers for sale in Europe have a differing number system. I've got a WoodRat powered by a DeWalt 625 and the plungebar install is a straightforward matter.

Gary Curtis:)
Northern California

Greg Koenker
08-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks Gary,
I was aware of the chipsfly website, but only saw the FT2000 listed... I'll email and see if they know if the two are compatible.

Charles McCracken
08-03-2007, 8:46 AM
Greg,

The difference between the FT2000E and the FT2200E is all cosmetics. All mechanicals are identical.

Greg Koenker
08-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks Charles! I think I'll order a plungebar then... appreciate the info!
Greg

By the way... what a great resource this forum is!

Jeff Booth
08-04-2007, 9:32 AM
Greg,

Enjoy your rat, I really like mine. Unlike what others will profess, I do not find it a replacement to my conventional router table, but it is an excellent addition, it is much better at joinery tasks, while the router table is still IMHO better for profiling.

Jeff

Gary Curtis
08-04-2007, 6:10 PM
Jeff,

My purchase decision was made on the assumption that the WoodRat would stand in for most functions of a router table. Now that I have a year's experience with it, that impression is confirmed, for the most part.

The need to handle long boards, however, makes the router table an easier machine for that task. It is simply astonishing on the WoodRat how many complex joints one can make. And without becoming terrified. The router table makes me very timid.

Gary Curtis

Jeff Booth
08-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Gary,

Ditto on the complex joints, double ditto on the fear factor, basically the rat holds the router and the work so there are no real unexpected events........... The only thing that ever concerns me is that basically the cutter is spinning at the same height at upper chest ....., I occasionally worry about a bit breaking............

Have you tried the woodrat brand HSS dovetail bits yet? I got one recently and I am very impressed in the narrowness of the bit and the clean cut that it provides, I used it on some butternut so far so its hard to gage how soon it would need to be resharpened using harder or more abrasive timber. But resharpening seems pretty straightforward.

Jeff

Ed Falis
08-05-2007, 4:47 PM
It is a wonderful machine. Those DT bits are great, too. I've had mine ~4 years, and though I've had some challenges, I've been very happy with it.