PDA

View Full Version : Festool question

Randy Denby
08-02-2007, 8:43 PM
While at the AWFS , I was able to try out all the Festool tools I've seen raved about here . .....and bought some. I see why the raves now. But, I am having second thoughts of my buying 2 of the 55" guide rails.Where the two meet, the saw is hanging up. If I adjust the cams on the saw to not hang up, then it causes slack along the rest of the cut and kind of defeats the purpose IMHO. has anyone experienced this? Should I return the 2nd 55" rail and get the longer rail ?
I am really surprized that it is hanging up, given that the seam looks flawless.

Jamie Buxton
08-02-2007, 9:02 PM
I bought the second 55" rail, and had trouble with the connection to the first one. It wouldn't stay staight. I eventually sold the second short rail and bought the 105" one.

Jim McFarland
08-02-2007, 9:31 PM
I had similar problems when first connecting 3 rails. Sometimes there are minor variations in rail/slide strip thickness. I resolved my problem by swapping rail orientation, then marking this orientation for future reference. I suggest following:
1) Try pulling the saw back over the connection rather than pushing. If that works, then swap the rail orientation and retry.
2) Make sure the edge of the 2nd rail green slide strip is not proud and catching the saw base (variation of #1).
3) Post this to Festool Owners Group forum -- no shortage of opinions and information there! Just Google "Festool Owners Group"

I have not had a problem with keeping rails straight so long as I snug (don't overtighten!) both top and bottom rail connectors. I use a 6' level to align and don't try to jam the rails together to remove any slight gap (some at the FOG suggest 1/16" gap as normal procedure).

Tom Cowie
08-02-2007, 9:42 PM
Hi Randy

Minor adjustment for me and they work great. Some eyeballing is necessary as the set screws on the connectors are just snug not all that tight. Here's the Festool link www festoolownersgroup com

Tom