PDA

View Full Version : First Turnings

Mike Peace
08-02-2007, 8:31 PM
I got my Jet mini about six weeks ago and have been busy. Here are a few pictures. The doorstops (pine) and honey dippers (cherry) are a result of my skew exercises based on Alan Lacer's video. He suggested cutting a 2X4 into 1 1/2" blanks a foot long and do skew exercises. By the time you are done with the 2x4 he says you should have the skew almost mastered. I finished the 2X4 or equivalent and am feeling confident now with the skew and won't hestitate to use it on projects.

The large bowl is about 8 1/2" in diameter and is from a spalted maple block I got from a turning meeting raffle. The two small ones are from some unknown crotch wood. The middle size one I actually made from a small piece of limb cutoff I picked up today while walking the dog along our neighborhood nature trail.

Thanks for looking.

Bernie Weishapl
08-02-2007, 9:00 PM
Wow Mike you have been busy. Those are all beauties. I really like the big bowl. Door stopper is cool. Well done.

Steve Schlumpf
08-02-2007, 9:37 PM
Looks like another one just fell into the abyss! Nice work Mike! Really like the large bowl - great looking wood and form!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-02-2007, 9:43 PM
Mike.....You've been wasting time and talent! Beautiful first turnings! Just fantastic!

Mike A. Smith
08-02-2007, 10:49 PM
FIRST turnings? Wow, very impressive Mike!

George Guadiane
08-02-2007, 10:56 PM
There is no cure for this, we just learn how to manage our FAMILY, the turning comes first (till your first night on the couch) :eek:

joe greiner
08-03-2007, 6:33 AM
Very well done, Mike. Looks like you're on a roaring start with the finishing too.

Joe

Bill Wyko
08-03-2007, 2:12 PM
Uhoh, looks like you pros have a little competition on your hands.:rolleyes: Those look very nice. Like you've been doing it for ever. Great job.

TYLER WOOD
08-03-2007, 2:18 PM
Good work, and very nice wood!!! Keep it up......, as if you had a choice!!!

Tom Sherman
08-03-2007, 4:54 PM
Nice work Mike, skew work looks good, so does your bowls.

Ed Scolforo
08-03-2007, 6:20 PM
First turnings? Man, it looks like you've been doing this for quite awhile! Very impressive.

Don Eddard
08-03-2007, 6:49 PM
Looks like you're off to a great start. All the pieces look nice. Way to go.

Vince Welch
08-04-2007, 9:40 AM
Hi Mike,

Very turnings! Great projects and it appears you have a great eye for form/design. You are on your way. Be sure to get with Nick Cook for some instruction if you are every in need. He is a great turner and a super nice person.

Vince

steve fleischmann
08-04-2007, 9:56 AM
Very nice, thanks for the motivation!

Steve

Neal Addy
08-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Mike, those are really great! Hard to believe they are first turnings. I'm looking forward to seeing where you are in six months or a year!

I'm really glad to see someone tackling the skew early in their learning curve. It's the most intimidating tool for any new turner but the most rewarding to master. If you can use a skew (correctly) then you will have learned the basics for turning with ANY tool.

Mike Peace
08-04-2007, 6:17 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I did get some turning instruction from a local master turner and artist, Jack Morse.

Vince, I did see a Nick Cook demonstration at a local Turning day. He did some small skew stuff. He is very entertaining.