PDA

View Full Version : Set up questions - Rabbit (HX3040)

Jacqui Marlin
08-02-2007, 8:08 PM
I know the laser beam needs to be focused on the surface of the material to be engraved but am not sure how to go about setting this up. Also, the video for the HX40 shows a bracket to hold the engravable material but there is no such bracket on the 3040. I am assuming that the material won't move even if it isn't held in place. Is this correct?

I want to test the laser before I try it with the computer program - do I just put a piece of material on the bed and hit laser test? There are a few set up gaps in the otherwise very clear video.

Thanks for any quick answers anyone can give me. I am anxious to start!

pete hagan
08-02-2007, 11:30 PM
Goddess congrats!!!

You should have a plastic height guide that you use to set the corect distance from the laser head to part being lasered. Place between part and head and raise / lower the table to allow the plastic height guide piece to slide between work and head.

SHUT DOOR there is a safety switch.

If you just want to see it cut a hole hit the laser button for a quick hit and it should fire and make a tiny hole.......WOW......

OK now have fun with the software and keep us posted.

Pete

Jacqui Marlin
08-03-2007, 12:19 AM
i have been on the phone with Frank because everything works except that the laser tube is not firing. There is no height guide but the instructions say it should be 45mm so I can make a guide of some kind. There is also no bracket to hold work in position.

Frank is now communicating with his tech in China to try to figure why the laser tube isn't firing. It has water, no cracks, no leaks that I can see and the wires all appear to connect properly.

GRRRRrrrrrrr!

Mike Null
08-03-2007, 7:27 AM
I assume you've checked the magnetic interlocks and that they're in place and making contact.

When you make a focus tool be careful to design it in such a way that it doesn't bind on the lens holder and table and do damage. Also, if using auto-focus, stand over it and be sure it stops before the table hits the lens holder. It's a good idea to have something on the table for the auto-focus to register to.

If you're an experienced operator forgive the above.

Jacqui Marlin
08-03-2007, 12:40 PM
I am a total novice and don't even know what or where the magnetic interlocks are located. I definitely appreciate any and all input. Frank has been talking with his tech (in China?) to try to figure why the laser isn't firing. It is interesting that when I first was setting up the machine the light wouldn't work even after twisting it into good position for contact. I did other things and after getting the water pump set up and checking that there was good water flow through the tube, suddenly the light came on. I wonder when something like that happens if it isn't something simple like a poor wire connection somewhere? All wires appear to be well connected though. It seems that I will be learning more than just how to use the machine!

BTW - I am working on "translating" the instructions a bit to make them more understandable.

pete hagan
08-03-2007, 6:08 PM
:D Jacqui,

Do you have the laser plugged directly into the wall outlet or into the power supply box shipped with the unit? That's one thing I noticed on my unit. Also if you have a multi meter check the voltage from your source.

These lasers are 220 volt and need to be plugged into the transformer / power box sent with the machine. IF you have plugged direct into the wall the light will come on but the lase will not fire.

Also there should be a small contact switch somewhere on the inside of the housing where the lid closes. This will prevent the laser from firing if the lid is raised OR the switch is out of alignment and not contacting the lid when you shut it. Look near the pnuematic arms that keep the lid raised.

Another thing is that I had two or three wires which had broken right at the terminal. This was on the X and Y controller boxes (black box with several wires attached). You might want to chase down any loose connections. Easy to fix just fairly common when too much pressure is applied to the crimping tool.

Good Luck and call me if you need.

Pete

Jacqui Marlin
08-03-2007, 7:02 PM
I have the machine plugged into the transformer. I asked Frank about that switch inside the box and he didn't know what it was for. There is also a button the outside of the box that isn't labeled (it is light green on mine) and is not in the row with the light and laser buttons. I planned to connect to 220 but need to get the right type of receptacle - wire is in for it. I can check the contact switch and see if that might be it. I sent Frank photos of everything and the wires all seem well connected. I am semi-handy when it comes to electrical stuff. I do have a tester and would have to know how to use it for the inside current. Someone showed me once but will have to review. The X & Y axis transporters seem to work okay. Another question I have is about the AmpMeter - when I turn the potentiometer nothing happens on the meter which leads me to think that could be where the trouble is. I should think the meter would show current if it is getting any to adjust.

I will go look at the parts you suggested. I kind of hoped it might just be a wire because the light wouldn't work at all at first and now it does.

Kind of like my iPod which totally died ove the weekend but when I called Apple it worked just fine! Go figgah!

leon buber
01-24-2008, 3:17 PM
hi Jacqui
1. on left side of laser working table there is a safety switch - make sure it is pressed when the door is closed
2. light greenbutton + laser test together will shot laser beam.hold the yellow button and than press the laser test
3. make sure red button is on - if not no laser no matter what.
4. the video is for smaller machine.HX3040 does not need the bracket.
5. ampmeter will work only when laser is fireing.it is very nice option.
6. last - inside working table (right side) there should be a switch potentiometer\automatic - if you are not useing the software put it on potentiometer
hope it fires soon.

leon buber
01-24-2008, 3:18 PM
sorry
1. on right side....