PDA

View Full Version : Blue Angels in Town

Joe Pelonio
08-02-2007, 3:23 PM
This morning I decided to play hookey from work for a while. We always love to watch the Blue Angels air shows, especially since our godson became an F/A-18 Hornet pilot in the Navy, at Lemoore, CA attached to the USS Lincoln.

This year we decided to go down to Boeing field and watch the pilots hop into the jets and take off for practice. It was quite an experience. While there was a fence in between, we were about 50 yards from the jets as the pilots climbed in started the jets. What an amazing sound, 4 of them roaring together for a good 10 minutes as they checked all of their equipment.

As they turned to go to the runway, probably 50 feet away, the pilots each waved in turn. Then they hit the runway, and with a deafening roar, they were in the far sky within seconds.

Nancy Laird
08-02-2007, 3:32 PM
Joe, I am GREEN with envy. I've seen the Blue Angels more times than I can count in my lifetime--all the way back to the 50s when they came to Millington every other year, but I can ALWAYS see them again. One of the highlights of my life was when ex-H and I were stationed at Pax River, Maryland, the Angels came in for a weekend show, and I was able to dance with one of the pilots at the Navy Relief dance on Saturday night. Being a Navy wife myself, I'm a BIG Angels fan.

Now, living in an Air Force town, the only ones we ever get are the Thunderbirds.

Jim Benante
08-02-2007, 3:46 PM
I hear a rumble now and then as they fly overhead. I guess I should go take a peak. We used to be able to go out on the roof of the building I work in to watch.

Belinda Barfield
08-02-2007, 3:53 PM
Those men do put on a great show. I missed their appearance at the Beaufort Air Show this year, and I am sort of glad I did since they lost a plane and pilot at that show. First show I've missed in several years. Never had the opportunity to watch the pre-game show though, what a great opportunity!

Leo Pashea
08-02-2007, 5:56 PM
Now, living in an Air Force town, the only ones we ever get are the Thunderbirds.

I personally don't think it is very courteous to berate a branch of the military that has protected your right to say what you have. If you had served yourself, you would realize that. I take offense to your comment, and I think it should be dealt with by the moderators.

Joe Unni
08-02-2007, 7:12 PM
I personally don't think it is very courteous to berate a branch of the military that has protected your right to say what you have. If you had served yourself, you would realize that. I take offense to your comment, and I think it should be dealt with by the moderators.

I couldn't DISAGREE MORE!! I took the comment as intra-service banter. All of the services will crap on the other services out of "team pride" as well as just fun comraderie. But...when the stuff hits the fan, EVERY service member knows we're all on the same team. And will give their left arm to help their "brothers in arms".

Yes, I served. I was an F-16 (current Thunderbird aircraft) crew chief in the 80's. I was going to take Nancy's comments and have fun with them (which may have bugged others), but feltl I have to respond to yours.

Please remember...they fight so we can do this!!!!

-joe
p.s. Joe. I'd have loved to be there with you...I still miss the planes. BTW, the Blue Angels are insanely better (or just plain insane ;) ) than the T-Birds.

Nancy Laird
08-02-2007, 7:29 PM
Thanks for your support, Joe. Yes, it was intra-service banter. If anyone was offended by my remark, I apologize.

I wrote a much longer post, but have deleted it as only adding fuel to the fire. I'll shut up now.

Nancy

John Schreiber
08-02-2007, 8:11 PM
If you ever get a chance to see the Canadian Snowbirds, you should. It's not the same kind of display of speed and power, but it's incredible.