PDA

View Full Version : Computer question...

Jonathon Spafford
08-02-2007, 2:09 PM
Man, I haven't posted in a while... I've just been so busy! Anyway, I have three computer related questions for you guys. So, I was using a computer last night and for no reason at all the computer shut down. It wasn't like it went through a normal shut down process, but rather it just clicked off like someone pulled the plug. When I went to start it back up, it would start to start-up and then shut-off again. I kept trying to get it started and finally after 8-10 trys I got it back on!

So first of all, does anybody know what would cause this? I have had it happen to my own computer twice (over a year ago) and then it just happened to this other computer and I can't think of what would make it happen.

The second question I have is how do you back up bookmarked pages from Mozilla Firefox. I found the bookmarks in Program Files, but it isn't a proper file, but rather an icon that opens in firefox with a URL that links back to the source on my computer. I don't think it will help me much to back that up.

The third question I have is how do you back up e-mails. Where on the computer are e-mail files located?

Any answers would be very much appreciated!!!!!!!

Justin McCurdy
08-02-2007, 2:22 PM
It sounds like your pc needs a new power supply, or your pc's case just needs more ventilation. It has been extremely hot the past couple of days and if your computer is in a non-airconditioned room, that could cause the computer to overheat be it power supply or some other component.

As far as email, are you referring to email that you have downloaded from the internet via Outlook, or stuff that is currently stored on Yahoo/Hotmail/Gmail that you need to archive?

Jonathon Spafford
08-02-2007, 2:35 PM
It sounds like your pc needs a new power supply, or your pc's case just needs more ventilation. It has been extremely hot the past couple of days and if your computer is in a non-airconditioned room, that could cause the computer to overheat be it power supply or some other component.

So could overheating actually make it start-up partway and then quit again like it was doing?

Sorry forgot to specify -- With the e-mail, I'm using Outlook!

Joe Pelonio
08-02-2007, 3:27 PM
On the shutting down, one of ours (laptop) did that constantly until we decided to prop it up onto wedges for more air circulation. If yours is a desktop, make sure the fan is running and the not clogged with dust.

Chuck Wintle
08-02-2007, 3:33 PM
So could overheating actually make it start-up partway and then quit again like it was doing?

Sorry forgot to specify -- With the e-mail, I'm using Outlook!

Yes if the CPU overheats during power on then it will shut down. That does not sound like your case because your computer was on for sometime. It sounds like a power supply problem, as has been mentioned, and a new one is not expensive. You did not say what brand your computer is though. If its a Dell then you need a Dell supply, otherwise a normal supply will work like Antec, Fortorn etc.
Google for Outlook backup programs, there are many of them.
In Firefox I think they can be exported and backed up.:D

Brent Dowell
08-02-2007, 3:45 PM
Overheating can definitely do this. Not sure what kind of computer you have, but you should check out your CPU fan. Every now and then I have to take the cover off of my desk top and blow the dust out of it. My cpu cooler has a bunch of fins, and if those get clogged, it will overheat even in the winter.

My notebook needs a little blast of air everynow and then too, to keep it's fan moving the air over the cpu.

Alex Berkovsky
08-02-2007, 3:48 PM
The third question I have is how do you back up e-mails. Where on the computer are e-mail files located?Jonathon,
If you Google "backing up Outlook emails", you'll get a lot of results. Here's one --> linky (http://www.pchell.com/support/backupoe.shtml)

Same goes for Firefox bookmark backup question... Google is your friend :D
In FireFox, Bookmarks -> Manage Bookmarks. Within the Manage Bookmarks window click File -> Export and choose a place to save the file.

I think Firefox automatically backs up your bookmarks by appending a date as a filename extension.

Nancy Laird
08-02-2007, 3:56 PM
Man, I haven't posted in a while... I've just been so busy! Anyway, I have three computer related questions for you guys. So, I was using a computer last night and for no reason at all the computer shut down. It wasn't like it went through a normal shut down process, but rather it just clicked off like someone pulled the plug. When I went to start it back up, it would start to start-up and then shut-off again. I kept trying to get it started and finally after 8-10 trys I got it back on!

So first of all, does anybody know what would cause this? I have had it happen to my own computer twice (over a year ago) and then it just happened to this other computer and I can't think of what would make it happen.

Any answers would be very much appreciated!!!!!!!

Jonathon, the sudden shutdown problem is definitely power supply. I was having the same problem--a duplication of yours--recently and a new power supply fixed that problem. If your computer isn't ventilated well, the power supply won't last as long as "normal", whatever that is.

Can't help you with the other questions, but this is identical to my problem.

Nancy

(By the way, I love the way you spell your name--identical to #1 grandson, whom I haven't seen in 8 years. Can I adopt you??)

Jonathon Spafford
08-03-2007, 2:28 PM
(By the way, I love the way you spell your name--identical to #1 grandson, whom I haven't seen in 8 years. Can I adopt you??)

Hey thanks! and sure you can adopt me... I don't have any turners in the family as of yet! ;)

Jonathon Spafford
08-03-2007, 2:29 PM
Thanks everybody for the replies! As always, they are very helpful!

Nancy Laird
08-03-2007, 2:50 PM
Hey thanks! and sure you can adopt me... I don't have any turners in the family as of yet! ;)

Jonathon - I'm not sure that I could live through another teen-ager in my house. Having pushed three children out into the world, I think I've done my time in he##. I'm sure you're a great kid, but 17-year-old energy is beyond my old age abilities to deal with any more. Besides, teen-agers are expen$ive!!!

Nancy

Jonathon Spafford
08-03-2007, 3:24 PM
Besides, teen-agers are expen$ive!!! Nancy

Well, I'm an exception to that rule! See, I don't worry about cars and expensive things like that... as long as you keep me stocked in lathes, turning tools, wood, pen kits, bandsaw blades, and coffee I'll be happy.

Besides I'll do all your yardwork for free ;)

Nancy Laird
08-03-2007, 3:35 PM
Well, I'm an exception to that rule! See, I don't worry about cars and expensive things like that... as long as you keep me stocked in lathes, turning tools, wood, pen kits, bandsaw blades, and coffee I'll be happy.

Besides I'll do all your yardwork for free ;)

Well, let's see.....

Lathes - we have two and we're dickering for another one.
Turning tools - we have about a dozen and have almost unlimited access to more through the store.
Wood - that's a given - with a 24x36' shop, we have a LOT of wood lying around
Pen kits - we order directly from Berea - so they'll have to be Berea kits
Bandsaw blades - see turning tools
Coffee - uh-oh. Now we have a problem. Neither of us drinks coffee, and I can't make the stuff worth a flip. We have a coffeemaker and keep Folgers in the freezer for company, but other than that, you'd be on your own.

Yard work? What's that? We have "southwestern" landscaping - lots of rocks and low-water vegetation --oh, yeah, we also have lots of weeds, lots of sticky weeds. Wanna pull weeds?? I didn't think so.

Besides, do you really want to leave the beautiful Great Northwet Camas and move to the beautiful dry New Mexico? I didn't think so. (My ex-in-laws lived in Longview, so I know approximately where you are.)

Uh-oh---another glitch just arose. Your profile says that you are a "professional eater." That's the expensive part. When my son left home to join the Navy, my food bill decreased by about $400.00 a month, and I was able to count on the leftovers being in the fridge the next night. He was so bad that he ate uncooked pasta and drank pancake syrup if there wasn't anything else to snack on.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to withdraw my offer to adopt you, young Jonathon. Sorry!! But I still luv ya!!

Nancy

John Hemenway
08-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Yes, it could be the powersupply, but have you checked the obvious? Is the AC plugged in? I always recommend removing the AC cord and plugging it back in. While you're at it trying to find both ends of the AC cord, you might check it for damage. It's amazing how many times the dreaded air gap (is it plugged in?) is the issue.

Steve Clardy
08-04-2007, 11:47 AM
Last time I ran into that problem was on my daughter-in-laws computer.

I fiddled with it for a couple of hours.
It would fire up, almost get everything loaded, then shut down again.
I got in in C prompt finally and ran a virus check on it.

It had a virus. I went to AVG's site and downloaded the removal tool and ran it.
Fixed the problem

Andy Hoyt
08-04-2007, 4:50 PM
To save your bookmarks just do this:
Click on Bookmarks at the top of the page
Then on Organize from the drop down menu.
That'll open a new window, and then click on File at the top of the page.
Then click on export.
This will open a familiar looking window wherein you can save a copy of your bookmarks where ever you want. And it will be in the format that Firefox will recognize when it's time to recover it.

Burt Alcantara
08-06-2007, 12:18 PM
I would suggest you get a new power supply with 100 watts over what you are using now. This will ensure that any future (or current) additions will run without failure. I up'ed my supply after adding a 250 G hard drive. I'm on my 5th power supply for this computer.

Firefox stores its information in its profile. I don't use Windows but I believe you can find it in Documents & Settings. Once you get to firefox (or mozilla if you can't find firefox), look for a folder with a name like ax8wnxil.default. The letters in italic are an approximation. If you open that folder you should find assorted folders plus bookmarks.html. This is a standard ascii text file that can be copied anywhere to any computer. This file is standard html.

I copied mine from my old Windows when I switched to linux.

If you have any backup utilities, copy this nightly to another hard disk if you have one or to another computer if attached to any sort of network.

If you are using add-ons, you may find a plug-ins folder. That would be worth backing up too.

Hope this helps,
Burt