PDA

View Full Version : Cooperstown Info Needed

Bob Moyer
08-02-2007, 10:37 AM
Wife and I will be visiting Cooperstown in a few weeks, what is there to do besides the HOF; also restaurant recommendations.

Thanks

Ken Fitzgerald
08-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Bob....The LOML is a rabid baseball fan. We visited Cooperstown about 7 years ago. If you've never been there, when you come into town you'll see public parking lots. You park there and buy a ticket on the trolley that comes around. IIRC the ticket cost $1.00 and it was good for all day. You get on the trolley/bus and ride to where you want to go and get off. Later, you get back on and ride to your next destination. Use the parking lots...IIRC they had a 20 minute parking rule on mainstreet and it was strictly enforced. The tow trucks were making a mint when we were there.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Oneonta about 20 miles away.

We ate in couple of restaurants in Cooperstown and always had a good meal.

There is a museum and a farming museum in Cooperstown too.

You could easily spend two days touring the HOF.

Have fun!

Bob Moyer
08-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Bob....The LOML is a rabid baseball fan. We visited Cooperstown about 7 years ago. If you've never been there, when you come into town you'll see public parking lots. You park there and buy a ticket on the trolley that comes around. IIRC the ticket cost $1.00 and it was good for all day. You get on the trolley/bus and ride to where you want to go and get off. Later, you get back on and ride to your next destination. Use the parking lots...IIRC they had a 20 minute parking rule on mainstreet and it was strictly enforced. The tow trucks were making a mint when we were there.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Oneonta about 20 miles away.

We ate in couple of restaurants in Cooperstown and always had a good meal.

Ken,

Have fun!
Thanks for the info, we are staying at a B&B. Did you visit any antiques shops?

Mark Stutz
08-02-2007, 4:16 PM
We only allotted a half day for Cooperstown. Not nearly enough! Did manage to hit some antique tool places on the road to and from. That was very early in my tool career and I didn't really know what I was looking for. Would love to go back...for both!

Mark

Don Orr
08-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Hi Bob, I live in Schenectady, NY, about an hour away. The Farmer's Museum is an excellent facility IMO, and across the road is the Fenimore Art Museum, also excellent. They sell combo tickets for these 2 and HOF for a fair discount.

There are also a couple microbreweries south of the village-Ommegang and Old Slugger. Both with tours and samplings.

The Glimmerglass Opera is open this time of year for the more cultured among us.

A little north of town is Fly Creek where there is an old time cider mill with a nice store and lunch facility. Good food!

I think there may be an exhibit at the town library with woodworking products. I don't remember the dates but I know some of the people exhibiting.

Good advice about parking from Ken!! It's a small village, easy to get around. There is a good hospital there too, just in case.

Ask the locals in Oneonta about antique shops, thet would probably know best.

This is a very nice area to visit. If you get out around Schenectady, look me up-I'm in the book!