PDA

View Full Version : Does my perfect handheld-only router exist?

Michael Van Voorhis
08-02-2007, 9:07 AM
Anyway...

As with most members that frequent here I am going crazy with all the searching and comparing with a future tool purchase. I could use your help.

This medium powered router will only be used freehand. I do not have space/need for a table. If I do in the future I will buy a dedicated router. Here are a list of the features I would like to have for my first router purchase:

1: Either comes with two bases (fixed and plunge) or can get them.
2: Able to accept 1/4" and 1/2" bits
3: Dust collection
4: Variable speed
5: Soft start
6: D-handle
7: Intuitive depth adjustment

I know I'm not asking for much. :rolleyes::D

Since I haven't really used a router all that much I am unsure which features will be MOST beneficial to me. Initially I plan on using the router for roundovers, flushcuts, circle making and rabbiting mostly in MDF. (speaker enclosures)

The router is the most versatile tool in the shop. Especially if I purchase the EZ system for it too. Even though one of my mottos is [I]The right tool for the right job, I do not have space/money for multiple routers. So I need a single router that can almost do it all. But I also believe in Buy it once, buy it for life. So spending a little more to own an "heirloom" is not out of the question.

Does my perfect router exist? If not what is the closest? Thanks all!

Jim Becker
08-02-2007, 9:25 AM
I have the D-Handle for my DW618 and it's a very fine fixed-base router. And the three-base kit is a great value. Only your dust collection requirement isn't really accommodated in the fixed base configurations. (There is DC on the plunge base similar to the DW621)

If you really want good dust collection, step up to the Festool OF1400. While it's a plunge format, it's setup such that anyone comfortable with a d-handle should be quite happy with the OF. You can use it with the Festool rails or with the EZ System if you prefer that...I've used mine a number of times in a guided format.

Chris Holder
08-02-2007, 9:41 AM
Hi Michael,
Have the Bosch1617EVSPK and it had been a great little router for me. It feels more solidly build than many of the PC or DW versions available. You may want to check with Bosch with respect to two of the specific features you are looking for: namely the dust collection and D-handle. The kit does come with both the fixed and plunge bases, accepts 1/4 and 1/2" collets, soft start, VS, etc. All the basics. When it comes down to it, I would, IMHO, sacrifice some of the frills (like the D-handle) for a router that is more solidly built, is balanced better, is easier to adjust. I also have a DW625 in my router table, but find it fussier to adjust and use. It is massively heavy (it is 3 1/2 hp), the plunge feature seems too tight, the collets don't fit well, and the casing feels "cheaper" than my Bosch. Not knocking all DW tools, just my own. My 2 cents.

Joe Jensen
08-02-2007, 10:40 AM
I think another big question is size and horsepower. I have 4 routers. My favorite for hand use is an old Rockwell 1HP (the one with a rounded top). This router only has a 1/4" collet, but it has plenty of power for any 1/4" shank bits I use. It's perfect for handheld use (I have not tried a palm router yet).

If you don't run larger than a 2" diameter bit, I think 2HP is plenty. I run these bits all the time in the Porter Cable 536 router which is a older better built version of the Porter Cable 690. This is my go-to router. Nice balance of size and power.

Now that little router can't run big bits, but then a big router isn't light. How large of a bit do you intend to run hand-held? I have run a 3/4" Radius roundover in a fixed speed 1.67HP handheld router and it wasn't fun. I've also run that bit in a 2.25HP variable speed router and it still wasn't fun. This bit is maybe 2.5" in diameter and I wouldn't run it again handheld.

I would suggest buying the router that is most comfortable to hold in routing positions, and I think for the purposes you listed, variable speed is the lowest priority. Sorry for rambling, I'm in a meeting too..joe

Michael Van Voorhis
08-02-2007, 10:53 AM
I think another big question is size and horsepower.
If you don't run larger than a 2" diameter bit, I think 2HP is plenty. I run these bits all the time in the Porter Cable 536 router which is a older better built version of the Porter Cable 690. This is my go-to router. Nice balance of size and power.

How large of a bit do you intend to run hand-held?

I would suggest buying the router that is most comfortable to hold in routing positions, and I think for the purposes you listed, variable speed is the lowest priority. Sorry for rambling, I'm in a meeting too..joe

The largest bit I'll probably ever use is a 1/2" roundover bit (so maybe 1" total diameter?) I do not ever plan on building raised panel cabinet doors or molding. So I will never use the bigger bits.

I also thought that 1.75-2.5 HP would be the sweet spot for my router's power.

Please ramble away. :) I have learned so much from other people's rambling.

Homer Faucett
08-02-2007, 10:58 AM
I personally do not like using 1/4" collet bits unless I have to. I started out with a 1/4" collet only router, and used it for many years. However, when I bought a Hitachi M12V combo kit and used the same profiles with a 1/2" shank, the cuts were soooooooo much smoother, and I had far less chatter.

I do like a D-handle router, but it is not a deal breaker for me. When I tested them out, the Bosch and Hitachi felt best in my hand. With the price difference between the two, I went with the Hitach, and have not been disappointed. I also have a pair of the old behemoth 3hp Ryobi routers that I use for router table work.

Dave Avery
08-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Makita RF1101 hits most of your needs. I use my Festool when I care about dust collection, but even that has fair collection when lots of chips are flying.

The Makita is light, quiet, and a joy to use in hand-held operations. I recommend that you actually hold all of the choices. That's what I did and that's why I chose the Makita. Best. Dave.

Bill Hylton
08-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Hi Michael,

I think you've got several brands/models from which to choose, several of which have already been mentioned by others. Every router maker except Festool (I'm pretty sure) offers a two-base kit—one 2+ hp evs motor with a fixed base and a plunge base. I'm not completely up-to-date on all these kits.

I haven't used the Ridgid and I haven't seen or used the Milwaukee plunge base. (I really like the Milwaukee fixed and D-handle base routers, though.) I've used the kits sold by P-C, Hitachi, Makita, Bosch (including the Craftsman version), and DeWalt.

Looking at your criteria, I'd say that the DeWalt kit is the one that responds to all 7. Numbers 3 and 6 are pivotal.

Every kit features two bases, two collets, and variable speed and soft start (they go hand in hand). Whether or not the depth adjustment is intuitive is very much a judgment of the individual user.

The D-handle option: I think of the D-handle as a base with a loop grip with a trigger switch. Not every maker offers a D-handle; Porter-Cable has a post-style hand-grip on a fixed base, but it doesn't have a trigger-switch on the grip. Typically, the D-handle has a receptacle on top, into which the motor cord is plugged, and a long cord extending from it. A special motor with a short pigtail is used with the D-handle.

DeWalt—and only DeWalt, so far as I know—uses a detachable power cord system. You can detach the cord from the motor. The D-handle has a pigtail on top that you plug into the motor. The power cord is plugged into the tail of the D-handle. It's the only setup that allows you to use a standard motor in all three bases.

The other brands require to you either shorten the kit motor's power cord, buy a separate motor for the D-handle, or by the motor and the bases a la cart, which is a more expensive option.

Dust Collection: This is difficult on any router. On inside cuts, you want to pull the dust up and away so it doesn't accumulate in the cut and on the work surface (and blow into your eyes). On edge cuts, the dust blows down on your shoes; you won't capture it with a topside pickup.

Most router kits include a clear plastic attachment for dust collection at the source. Basically, the pickup is a topside port with a shroud surrounding the bit. The DeWalt plunge base has the shroud in place and incorporates the vac-hose connection in a plunge post. These systems work well for mortising cuts and dadoing, but not for cuts on edge—roundovers and rabbets, for example.

For edge work, I'd suggest getting Leigh's dust pickup. It was developed to use on their dovetail jigs and is adaptable to most brands and models of routers.

Whatever you do, get your hands on the routers and see how they feel to you before you make a purchase.

Good luck!

Bill

Aaron Hamilton
08-02-2007, 1:29 PM
A huge vote for the DW618 dewalt - I have the 3 base kit - LOVE IT!

scott spencer
08-02-2007, 2:10 PM
There are several available with the features you want. It's just a matter of picking which one you like.

The Milwaukee now comes in a combo kit that offers fixed and plunge bases but doesn't include the D-handle...it does however have the BodyGrip design which you may find as a suitable substitute for a D-handle, and a D is an available option AFAIK.

Jason Beam
08-02-2007, 2:24 PM
Being the Milwaukee fan that I am, here is my suggestion:

2 1/4hp Fixed & Plunge:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QV1CXW

D-Handle base for the above:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009H5S2Y

That covers pretty much all of your needs. The kit comes with one of those clear dust port hookups that works pretty well. Any "below the plate" dust will need some kind of attachment, though.

I've never seen a router's built in DC have any hope of getting edge-treatment dust very well. I've seen a few aftermarket baseplate attachments that might help, though. You could probably make a simple one out of some masonite, too. Just a box that covers the bit on the non-cutting side with a vac port.

I can't say enough nice things about my milwaukee routers. I haven't used the D-handle base yet, but now that I know it exists, i may have to order one. The trigger-switch is very tempting :)

Bob Feeser
08-02-2007, 3:12 PM
When it comes to routers, I am not a proponet of one size fits all. The Milwaukee combo kit, with the optional D Handle base, will get you in for the least amount of money.
When it comes to D handles, their are a lot of nice ones out there, by my favorite, is the Makita RD 1101. Norm Abrams used the Makita D Handle for years as his favorite D handle. (Their barely wasn't an episode where you didn't see him break it out. I was shocked at how quiet and powerful it was. Super light, and 2 1/4hp. You can read my review on it at Amazon here (http://www.amazon.com/Makita-RD1101-Variable-D-Handle-Router/dp/B000051WRP/ref=sr_1_7/104-9267792-5496718?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1186080930&sr=1-7) It is the first review they have listed.
As far as other combo packs, their are too many good ones to list. I have the Bosch 1617 combo pack, and it does a nice job. I use it with the fixed base in the table, and the plunge base available for double duty.
You mentioned that you do not have room, or need for a table. Make room. :) Building your own table with an insert is not that expensive. Something you will wind up needing anyhow. If you have a table saw, a side extension table is handy, and makes a great router table, without taking up hardly any real estate. Bench Dog makes a nice one for that. Check your dimensions to see if it is the same width as your saw. If you are cutting wood without a table saw, that is the first purchase you want to make. Back to the routers.
Porter Cable makes a lot of nice routers as well.
I know this is not a one size fits all, that you are looking for. I can't really help you with the 3 base comparison, whereas I haven't used the different options available.

Michael Van Voorhis
08-02-2007, 6:04 PM
Has anyone used the Porter Cable "Gripvac" (http://portercable.cpoworkshop.com/routers/fixed_base_routers/891.html?) model yet? I am curious as to how well it performs. The large handle looks like it would have good control like the D-handle models.

http://portercable.cpoworkshop.com/images/product/large/891.jpg

Any ideas on this one? It also comes in this kit. (http://portercable.cpoworkshop.com/routers/combo_packs/894pk.html?)

Phil Harding
08-02-2007, 6:26 PM
I'm sure you will get 10,000 replies and each will recommend a different router or combination, so here's my recommendation. I have the Bosch 1617 and 1618 (D-handle version), a small Milwaukee (sorry I don't recall the model number), and Festool 1010 and OF1400 routers. I love them all but the ONE I would recommend first is the Festool OF1400 as I think it comes closest to meeting all of your criteria.

-- Phil

Emmanuel Weber
08-02-2007, 6:45 PM
I have the Porter Cable "Gripvac" (http://portercable.cpoworkshop.com/routers/fixed_base_routers/891.html?) model. It is comfortable to use and provide good stability. The dust collection is ok and not in the way. The plunge base for the 890 serie is not the best though it tend to "stick" and doesnt provide a smooth plunge motion.
If the budget allows I would vote for the OF1400.

Michael Van Voorhis
08-02-2007, 7:24 PM
I'm sure you will get 10,000 replies and each will recommend a different router or combination, so here's my recommendation. I have the Bosch 1617 and 1618 (D-handle version), a small Milwaukee (sorry I don't recall the model number), and Festool 1010 and OF1400 routers. I love them all but the ONE I would recommend first is the Festool OF1400 as I think it comes closest to meeting all of your criteria.

-- Phil

Phil -- The main reason I haven't purchased the OF1400 (besides the pricetag) is the small dust collection shroud opening around the bit. If you use a larger bit it could break the shroud. On the Festool Owners Group forum they almost all complain of this.

Emmanuel Weber
08-02-2007, 8:09 PM
It is true that the shroud can get in the way if you try to plunge cut with a bit over an inch in diameter. This is however not a common operation (at least not one I came across so far). You can use larger diameter bits if you don't do plunge cut.

Michael Lutz
08-02-2007, 9:02 PM
Emmanual,

PC just came out with a new plunge base for their 890 router with through the column dust collection similar to the Dewalt 618. How much better is the new base vs the old? We will have to wait on that answer until people buy some of the new bases.

Mike

Emmanuel Weber
08-03-2007, 7:10 AM
Thanks for the info Mike, I didn't even noticed. Do you know what is the part number for the new base ?

Curt Harms
08-03-2007, 7:56 AM
I have the Porter Cable "Gripvac" (http://portercable.cpoworkshop.com/routers/fixed_base_routers/891.html?) model. It is comfortable to use and provide good stability. The dust collection is ok and not in the way. The plunge base for the 890 serie is not the best though it tend to "stick" and doesnt provide a smooth plunge motion.
If the budget allows I would vote for the OF1400.

The complaint about the P-C plunge base is a common one. There's a new plunge base on the way, I don't know when it'll start shipping. B&D appears to be using the same model # on the old and new plunge bases, so it may be hard to tell which one you're getting. I have the "grip vac" and it works surprisingly well for such a small hole but not perfect. It's the only fixed base with dust collection I know of, there may be others. Porter Cable does offer an add-on Dust Collection setup for the 690's.The 890 grip vac doesn't have the switch on the handle which may be a negative for you.

HTH

Curt

Michael Van Voorhis
08-04-2007, 1:31 PM
I am glad to hear that the "grip-vac' works fairly well. I couldn't figure out if the plunge base has the DC or not. Since I will probably be using this intended router about once every 2-3 years it is hard to justify the price for the Festool even though that is the unit I would really want.

decisions, decisions...

Curt Harms
08-05-2007, 9:32 PM
I am glad to hear that the "grip-vac' works fairly well. I couldn't figure out if the plunge base has the DC or not. Since I will probably be using this intended router about once every 2-3 years it is hard to justify the price for the Festool even though that is the unit I would really want.

decisions, decisions...

but the hole is part of the base and is small like the grip vac hole. I don't have one so I don't know if it works or not.

HTH

Curt

Alan Schwabacher
08-06-2007, 12:34 AM
It sounds like a reasonable list of desires, and it's been interesting to see how it might be met. My inclination would be to question the list, however. A very simple router table can make a lot of operations easier, and since you are interested in dust collection, it's worth noting that dust collection is a lot easier to make effective in a router table than handheld.

Michael Van Voorhis
08-07-2007, 5:27 PM
It sounds like a reasonable list of desires, and it's been interesting to see how it might be met. My inclination would be to question the list, however. A very simple router table can make a lot of operations easier, and since you are interested in dust collection, it's worth noting that dust collection is a lot easier to make effective in a router table than handheld.

I do not doubt this advice. I wish I had a dedicated workshop for a router table. Instead, I use my car-and-a-half car garage to fit two cars and a motorcycle. I have to keep all my tools in a small closet when not in use. A table router is pretty much out of the question. I cannot justify the cost for the table when I work with wood about once every one or two years.

I know I can really open up my choices if I do drop the "D" handle wish. It just seems like a better way to handle a router.

Al Navas
08-07-2007, 5:33 PM
Michael,

You have received a LOT of good advice. Now, go and BUY a router!

:D :cool: :) :eek: ;) :rolleyes: :cool: :p

Al