PDA

View Full Version : Casting Wood Pen Blanks Tutorial

Curtis O. Seebeck
08-02-2007, 1:48 AM
As promised, here is the link to my just completed tutorial detailing my process of casting unusable wood for pen blanks. You all have seen my Algarita pen cast with magenta resin as well as my Mescalbean pen cast with gold resin. Well, this is how I do it!

http://builtbydoc.com/WorthlessWoodBlanks.pdf

Comments or suggestions for improvement are appreciated.

Enjoy!

Gene Kennedy
08-02-2007, 2:43 AM
Curtis- Great tutorial. After reading that, I looked around on the net and only found 16 oz. cans of that resin. Could you share with us where you can get that from in the gal. containers, and maybe give a price range we should be looking at.

Gary DeWitt
08-02-2007, 3:08 AM
I don't have a compressor, they're too loud to use in my shop, but I was wondering if there is any reason you couldn't use a strong bike pump and a check valve? I regularly pump up my bike tires to 100 lbs.
Nice looking blanks, thanks for the tutorial. I have about 1/2 ton of olive wood that tends to crack a lot, I'm thinking I might use your technique on that wood.

Jason Slutsky
08-02-2007, 6:12 AM
That's an excellent tutorial Curtis! Fairly simple process and awesome results. Thank you!

Patrick Taylor
08-02-2007, 7:30 AM
Thanks Curtis, and congrats on the IAP front page!

Benjamin Dahl
08-02-2007, 7:38 AM
Curtis, that is great information. Thanks for sharing.
Ben

Grant Wilkinson
08-02-2007, 8:38 AM
Thanks much, Curtis. I've just poured my first casting and am waiting for it to set up. Since I have a compressor, and lots of wasted wood, all I need is a pressure pot, your tutorial and some time. :rolleyes:

Mark Pruitt
08-02-2007, 8:49 AM
I don't have a compressor, they're too loud to use in my shop, but I was wondering if there is any reason you couldn't use a strong bike pump and a check valve?
One other option would be those air spray cans that office supply stores sell, for cleaning keyboards.

Jim Becker
08-02-2007, 9:37 AM
Great article, Curtis!! And it seems to be quite easy to do, too.

Ed Scolforo
08-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks, Curtis, great article!

Bernie Weishapl
08-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Thank you Curtis. Thanks for sharing. Nice article.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Well written and illustrated article Curtis! Thanks for posting it!

Wayne Bitting
08-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Thanks Curtis for the info/pics. I've been building up my equipment pile so I can start to pressure and vac materials for pens and bottle toppers. All I am missing now is the vacuum pump. Your pens look awesome to boot!

Brett Baldwin
08-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Thanks for sharing Curtis. Very simple and easy to follow with many good suggestions.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
08-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Nicely done Curtis,

I'll never try it, I respect the good makers like your self and enjoy making pens with your products!;)

Curtis O. Seebeck
08-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I hope to see some pens around here with worthless wood!

Jim, if you have any worthless wood blanks you want fixed up, just let me know. I am thinking of offering that as a service for those who don't want to mess with it themselves!