PDA

View Full Version : What a difference a quality Plane can make.

Brent Dowell
08-02-2007, 12:31 AM
So, I'm more of a power tool guy, but I've always had a soft spot for planes and saws, but I could never bring myself to spend much money on them.

I've bought several of the hardward store/HF/Grizzly variety handplanes. No bit deal, just a few block planes and a jack plane.

I diligently worked on them flattening their soles, learned how to the sharpen the blades, etc.. I got them to work pretty nicely, for what they are. The grizz low angle does a real nice job of doing little things like chamfering, even a little end grain action.

So I had let my FWW subscription lapse several years ago. I guess I just didn't 'get' or like ' a lot of the furniture they had. Too fancy. But lately I started to miss it, and decided to resubscribe, and btw, they offered a 25$ coupon for Lie Nielsen.

So I went and pulled the trigger on the medium shoulder plan, figuring it would be just the thing for trimming tenons, etc.

Well, Brown dropped it off today. All I can say is I am very happy and impressed. No tuning seems necessary. Of course I had to try it right away. Just a very nice, solid, good looking tool. Now to go and build some Arts and Crafts items with lots of tenons that need trimming :D

Hmm, this could lead to a serious problem with my cash flow...

Mike Cutler
08-02-2007, 5:21 AM
I have the same plane Brent, and your right, it's a nice one. I have a number of LN planes, in addition to some flea market specials, and they're all nice planes.

Nice gloat, I'm sure someone will remind you of the pic policy on gloats.:eek: ,;)

Andrew Williams
08-02-2007, 8:40 AM
Hmm, this could lead to a serious problem with my cash flow...

Wait till you get into chisels!

Raymond Fries
08-02-2007, 9:10 AM
I bought their low angle block plane and it is really nice.

I need to get one of the bigger ones as well.

The company makes awesome tools.

Michael Schwartz
08-02-2007, 9:16 AM
Wait till you get into chisels!

I am just starting to slip down that slope myself :D

I think it goes

Planes
Chisels
Saws
Auger Bits/Braces
Noris A5 Infill
Saint james Bay, or Hotely smoother :eek:

Congrats on the LN plane

Fedex should be here any minuite with my LN 60-1/2 low angle block.

You will find the Medium Shoulder very versitle, rather than go back to the table saw and bump the dado up a hair, just pull it out and trim away :cool:

Michael Schwartz
08-02-2007, 9:20 AM
I bought their low angle block plane and it is really nice.

I need to get one of the bigger ones as well.

The company makes awesome tools.

I have the low angle jack, and you might wan't to look at that. Its cheaper than the rest of their bench planes, but it is extremely versitile, as a jack plane, and a smoother.

It is so easy to setup, I can flatten a rough board, and smooth it, only advancing and adjusting the Iron two or 3 times.

I absolutely love this plane.

Veritas also makes great bevel up planes that some say are as good or better than the Lie Nelsons

I am about to pull the trigger on the Veritas Bevel up Smoother.

Jim Becker
08-02-2007, 9:32 AM
Yes, for those of us without the time to fettle an older plane, acquiring quality is a nice way to go. I started with the LN low-angle adjustable mouth block plane a few years ago after a show and it's near my hand all the time during all projects. And then it was good chisels as someone else mentioned. I actually use these tools a lot now and most of my future tool purchases will be in the Neander category.

Mike Bryan
08-02-2007, 11:45 AM
I have the LN 4 1/2 and love it. I also have the LN skew which I like more and more as I use it. It's great for cleaning up a tenon. I bought a Stanley 7 Jointer with the grooved sole from a junk yard. I had to clean it up a bit but it works every bit as well as the LN's. At $75 (which, I discovered later was way too much) it's a great bargin.

David Weaver
08-02-2007, 12:03 PM
An LN low-angle block plane and a #6 (I know there are haters on here) were my first purchases, followed shortly after by a couple of LN chisels and a large shoulder plane - and then after that, I finally started to buy other brands of stuff. I've fettled some stanley planes to LN levels of performance, but it has taken at least 6 hours on larger planes - and they won't stay at that level as the cast moves. I'm still trying to flatten the bottom of a #8 bailey, and I've been through 9 sheets of 60 grit wet/dry as well as a bunch of loose 60 grit silicon carbide, and it's only about half of the way there.

Unless you don't like the design of something you get from LN, you'll never be disappointed with what you get. All you have to do is hone and you're off with a tool that feels like it's supposed to when you use it.

Eric Hartunian
08-02-2007, 1:48 PM
Fedex dropped off my LN No 7 yesterday. Absolutely a sweet plane. I also have a Clifton No 5, which is nice, but I don't think it is quite as good as the LN. Medium shoulder plane is next....And I guess I need some saws...and some more chisels, can't have enough of those...

Somebody hide my wallet.
Eric

Brent Dowell
08-02-2007, 3:22 PM
Nice gloat, I'm sure someone will remind you of the pic policy on gloats.:eek: ,;)

Ok, As requested, heres a picture. Wasn't sure if only 25$ off counted as a gloat or not... ;)

James Carmichael
08-03-2007, 8:59 AM
Ok, As requested, heres a picture. Wasn't sure if only 25$ off counted as a gloat or not... ;)

A new tool aquisition, especially one that nice, is always gloatable, even if you paid full retail.

Enjoy!