PDA

View Full Version : A sad start to my daughter's senior year

Leigh Costello
08-01-2007, 11:46 PM
Hello everyone. This afternoon my daughter's "gang of nerds" suffered a terrible blow. Two of her friends were killed in an automobile accident. If you have a high school student or a student driver, please, please remind them to never look away from the road. I know this seems such a small event compared to the Minnesota tragedy. I cannot imagine losing someone that way.

As a driver and a mom, I know how easy it is to lose control of a car. And now the family and all of the teens who knew these two wonderful young men have to pick up the pieces and somehow go on.

God be with all drivers everywhere.

mark page
08-01-2007, 11:55 PM
Leigh,

You have my heartfelt thoughts. With five kids and three of those are drivers, I worry all the time.

Mark

Ken Fitzgerald
08-02-2007, 12:06 AM
Leigh....My thoughts and prayers for your daughter, her friends and their families! I survived 3 teenage driver's ............

John Schreiber
08-02-2007, 12:17 AM
I can imagine what those families are going through. In fact, despite my confidence in her judgment and skill, I imagine it constantly when my daughter is driving.

I'm glad I haven't had to face it and I hope and pray that the families involved, including your own, manage and go forward somehow.

Dennis Peacock
08-02-2007, 9:13 AM
Leigh,

I have teens of my own. I couldn't imagine loosing a child. My thoughts and prayers will be with all the friends and families of those kids.

Mitchell Andrus
08-02-2007, 9:16 AM
My senior year HS, I lost two friends in an auto accident. They were drunk and hit a pole at 95-100 mph. We all took comfort in the fact that they only took themselves that day.

Your daughter will find a way to cope....

Jim Becker
08-02-2007, 9:20 AM
That's very sad to hear, Leigh. This area has been plagued by many similar accidents over the past year, too. It only takes a split second of inattention or worst, someone else doing something stupid. (That's what happened to us when we had our accident on the way to the airport for vacation a few months ago--someone else's stupidity)

This is a tough reality check for your daughter and her peers, but as others have said, they will come through it with your love and help.

Nancy Laird
08-02-2007, 9:23 AM
My condolences to your daughter's friends' families, Leigh, on their losses. But...take it from me. You will never ever quit worrying about your children behind the wheel. My soon-to-be 36-year-old son drives an 18-wheeler all over the country, and I worry constantly. In my head I know he is a good driver--he wouldn't be doing what he's doing if he wasn't--but in my heart I cringe every time I hear of a semi accident anywhere. Even knowing that he was safe at his home base last night, my heart and stomach did a huge jump when I saw that semi on fire on the Minneapolis bridge.

Nancy

Leigh Costello
08-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Thank you for all of your replys. The boys were straight A students, FFA members and overall great kids. The 16 year old David was driving, and 17 year old Jesse was a passenger. They were returning home from register a hog at the Town and Country Fair in Washington, Mo. Somehow, their car crossed the center line and hit another car head on. The feed store where I work 2-3 afternoons a week supplied them their hog feed. I will miss these boys.

TYLER WOOD
08-02-2007, 11:50 AM
My prayers are with the families, as well as your daughter. Loosing a friend can be so traumatic especially in the final stages of major part of their lives. Hope and pray all will be well with the emotional recovery.

Ron Jones near Indy
08-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Leigh,
I'm praying for your daughter, her friends and all the families involved in this tragedy. My deepest sympathy goes to all effected by this. I know it is a tough time for the kids especially. I have spent 39 years in the classroom--most of then in a high school. I know first hand the emotions involved when young people are killed in an accident. Tell your daughter to remember the good times with her friends.
Respectfully,