PDA

View Full Version : New Bench Taking Shape

Don Inghram
08-01-2007, 6:17 PM
Hi all, this is my first post to SMC, although I've been a lurker for a while now. No questions at this time, just thought I'd say Hi. Been working on my new bench all day and man am I pooped out. Wrestling those timbers all day can be taxing. Seems the jointer wears me out faster than anything. Current bench will be 80" long by 31" wide, made 100% from Brazilian Cherry 8/4. That stuff is somekind of heavy and hard. Probably would use something a bit softer if I had it all to do again. Currently on disability so I have lots of shop time, just not much energy. My Dad said to me today, "Why did you choose such a massive project?" Beginning to wonder myself, LOL, but it sure is going to be purty. I'll be asking lots of questions in the future, and hope to answer a few. Thanks for listening.

Tony De Masi
08-01-2007, 6:28 PM
Don,

First off welcome to the Creek. After you have been here a short time you will come to learn one major thing. NO PICTURES DIDN'T HAPPEN!!:D :D :D

I for one will look forward to seeing it though.

Tony

Don Inghram
08-01-2007, 6:30 PM
Pics will be forthcoming, I promise. Need to get a little more done first. :cool:

Jim Becker
08-01-2007, 7:55 PM
Welcome to the 'Creek, Don...and a nice, massive bench is a perfectly fine first project if you want one! A little bit of challenge should be in every project.

And no, you don't need to get a little more done before pictures...LOL...the Picture Police are going to be swooping down on you before that... ;)

Alex Elias
08-01-2007, 9:14 PM
Welcome and good luck with your project. Make sure you have some energy left after you are done so you can use it.

Jude Tuliszewski
08-01-2007, 9:45 PM
Welcome, even a few pics of a pile of lumber would make the pic police happy :cool: . Really, pics from the start are just as good as pics of the finished project. Have fun with it :D .