PDA

View Full Version : PM Model 66 motor change

Sean Troy
08-01-2007, 4:34 PM
How much trouble is it to change out a 3hp 230v 3 phase motor to a 3hp 230v single phase motor in a PM mod. 66 TS. Motor costs? Where to find motor? Phase converter? I'm trying to figure if it's worth the trouble. Thanks, Sean

Jim O'Dell
08-01-2007, 4:52 PM
Never done it personally, but look at the motor plate and it should specify the face type, look at whatever brand motor web site you are interested and do a search for that motor face style. Choose the HP rating, and that's your motor. Don't know if you will need to change the switch out or if a 3 phase on/off switch will work for the single phase. Do a search on the phase convertors here at SMC. I have read some but know nothing at all about them. Good luck. Sounds like you may have a nice saw when you get finished. Jim.

Bruce Wrenn
08-01-2007, 10:40 PM
PM 66 uses a NEMA 56-C TEFC motor with a 5/8" shaft. This is a pretty standard design of motor. If you aren't in the "Horse Power Race", Northern Tools sells a replacement motor for an electric pressure washer. They have both 1 1/2 and 2 HP models for about $200. The two should do most anything you ask of it.

Joe Jensen
08-02-2007, 1:19 AM
How much trouble is it to change out a 3hp 230v 3 phase motor to a 3hp 230v single phase motor in a PM mod. 66 TS. Motor costs? Where to find motor? Phase converter? I'm trying to figure if it's worth the trouble. Thanks, Sean

This place is perfect. New motors removed from tools sold to the Amish. Original Powermatic 3HP, 1PH for $375...joe

http://www.woodworkingtools.com/Dealers/arthur.html

Not sure about the controls. The company selling the motors likely has the controls too.

Tim Lynch
08-02-2007, 9:10 AM
There's a 1Ph 3HP Leeson Powermatic motor on ebay right now. It's used, but only bid at $22 with 1 day left on the auction. Could be a steal.

I search "powermatic" and "unisaw" on ebay everyday, LOL....