PDA

View Full Version : Hinge Book

Wayne Bitting
08-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Every project I do, when it comes to hinges I always seem to screw things up. Does anyone know of a book which has an overview on the different styles, uses, and instructions on designing them into your project correctly. I don't know why, but every time I go to use them I find myself at the end of the project trying to patch something together to fix a hinge problem (which leads to other patches). Thanks!

Mike Cutler
08-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Wayne.

First question is. Do you have the hinges at the beginning of the project? Getting them at the end, or halfway through, like I usually do, makes everything a lot harder.

Unfortunately hinges come in a few different configurations. Each with their own little nuances.

Is there a particular type that is causing you the most problem?

Wayne Bitting
08-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Mike - I normally pick them in the design phase and order them so I've got them ready when I am. But I look at the picture/diagram in the catalog and it never seems to be what I thought I needed when it comes time to use them. No one hinge has actually gone well on any of my projects.

Craig D Peltier
08-01-2007, 3:59 PM
Theres a magazine called Fine Woodworking that put a special issue called Built-In on Page 56 for two or three pages it talks about chossing hinges and some pictures.Its from 2006, you can probaly get it on amazon or there site.