PDA

View Full Version : First time poster

Bobby McCarley
01-22-2004, 1:51 PM
Hello all, I'm a first time poster. Been looking around for a few days and this is a great site. I've been a woodworker for as long as I can remember and just recently renewed my interest in woodturning. I'll try just about anything if it involves wood but really enjoy making models of wood. I also enjoy making anything for the grandkids.

My son is a fireman so when I found a pattern for a firetruck I just had to give it a shot. I'm posting some pictures to see what y'all think. Any and all comments welcome.

Thanks
Bobby McCarley

Tyler Howell
01-22-2004, 2:11 PM
Welcome Bobby,

Very nice truck you can send it to Minneapolis, MN :D
I'm a long time EMT and have a fond place for my Fire Fighter buddies.
A real good bunch here. Keep sending those Pictures in. ;)

Chris Padilla
01-22-2004, 4:27 PM
Nice model! Looks like some bending was in order?

Welcome to SMC...I spend way too much time here. :D

Bob Lasley
01-22-2004, 4:30 PM
Bobby,

Welcome to SMC, we're glad you chose to post. The fire truck is outstanding! Did you make the wheels? I really like the spoke detail. What woods did you use?

My son is also a fireman, currently volunteer, but working on going full time.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Bob

Bobby McCarley
01-22-2004, 7:54 PM
I want to thank everyone for the comments. To answer the questions: On the fenders, I glued up stock and then cut the profile on my bandsaw but bending is something I may have to try sometime. As to the wheels, I bought them and the woods include maple, ash, padauk, walnut and sassafras(spelling?).

Again, thanks for the comments. Check out my other post to see some more models I've done.

Bobby McCarley

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-22-2004, 7:59 PM
Hi Bobby, a BIG SAWMILL CREEK WELCOME! Nice Fire Truck and great pictures. Great to have you aboard, and keep posting the pictures of your work............we REALLY like pictures here! Have a great time here, I think you will find that this is collectively the best bunch of Woodworkers you will find anywhere. We have a lot of fun, thanks for joining, and ENJOY! :D