PDA

View Full Version : New Years resolution almost finished

Jim Hill 2
08-01-2007, 11:26 AM
For my New Years resolution I resolved to fix two of my remaining dust collection problems.. My CMS and my router. I designed my own dust hood after seeing some examples other people were using. I use every shop project as practice for fine furniture and have been inspired by several books like The Toolbox Book: A Craftsman's Guide to Tool Chests, Cabinets, and Storage Systems by Jim Tolpin. So, this CMS cabinet is made of Maple and a little reclaimed cherry. It has 4" locking casters so I can move it around the shop. The CMS Table is just high enough that I can use my bench as an outfeed table. The lighting switch is to the right and behind the CMS and is just a bit too bright unless you have wood down on the table. It does light up both sides of the blade where I have always had lighting problems in the past. All I have left to do is cut some molding for under the top of the table and hood which will hide the wires that are currently dangling. Then stain and finish the piece. I use the base of the cabinet to store my compressor and nail guns. Comments and suggestions are welcome. While your at it... how are you doing on your new years resolutions?

Jim
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u315/oberonsjester_photos/CMS%20Cabinet/IMG_0262.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u315/oberonsjester_photos/CMS%20Cabinet/IMG_0261.jpg

Matt Meiser
08-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Hands down, that has to be the fanciest dust hood I've ever seen. Is your shop in the living room? :D

Seriously, good work. Your hood should work well as it is similar in shape to what I bult and I've found it works well. Miter saws really throw the heavier chips and you'll miss some of them but my nose knows in less than 1s if I forgot to turn on the DC when I use the miter saw. It is amazing to watch the dust cloud disappear when I do.

Grant Davis
08-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Very nice looking CMS stand.

I completed my New Years Resolution on May 25 @ 9:25AM....I finally got my divorce.

Michael Stanley
08-01-2007, 1:31 PM
I never thought of using track lights in that way! Very nice cabinet too...

Don Bullock
08-01-2007, 10:28 PM
Wow!! Now, that's great. Super design and the light idea is something I'd have never come up with, but now I will have ti incorporate that into my miter saw station. Thanks.:D

Alex Elias
08-02-2007, 5:07 AM
Very nice work. I like the concept of practicing your skills on shop projects. I tend to do the same (not that fancy though). Pretty cool desing. The only thing I would say (from my point of view) other might not agree is that I would have divide the back panel in to so it soes not look like horizontal. To me it looks like is sideways like it came from another piece and it fit that way. My 2 cents.
Great job

Jim Hill 2
08-02-2007, 7:45 AM
Thanks guys. Alex, I appreciate your comment. I actually did not think about it much, but now that you mention it... it does look wrong. I was almost out of Maple and didn't have enough to finish the pannel. That Cherry came from a dining room table expansion that was thrown out. It was big enough for the job so I used it. I hope that after it has some finish on it the sideways grain of that pannel will not stand out so much. This is just another reason I practice on shop cabinets rather than the real thing. Thanks guys.

Jim

Tim Brooks
08-02-2007, 7:53 AM
Great job Jim! As with everything you put your hands to, it is simply impeccable in design and build! Your skills always amaze me.

Keep up the great work and keep the pictures coming. In the meantime, I am going to my prayer closet to repent of the envy with which I am struggling. Then, it's off to the shop to get more practice.

Also, it is nice to see you back on the creek. :D While there are a few real knuckle heads that log on and chime in, all others are very knowledgeable and are good people (at least that has been my experience).

By the way, I don't see anything wrong with the direction of the grain on the back panel. Maybe it is just my inexperience.

Be blessed!

Maurice Ungaro
08-02-2007, 9:07 AM
Jim,
That's a great looking shop piece! I like the dual function of air compressor storage as well. I've been struggling with what to do with my 10" slider in my new shop (that MUST be shared with a car.....), and that design might fit the bill.

In the meantime, since you've got wheels on that thing, maybe I can roll it down to Beaufort!

Keith Starosta
08-02-2007, 9:16 AM

I completed my New Years Resolution on May 25 @ 9:25AM....I finally got my divorce.

:eek: :eek: So, you got that going for you!!

- Keith

John Revilla
08-02-2007, 9:56 AM
This is just a dust collection hood? Very nice. Looks better than some furniture to me. Godspeed.

Jim Hill 2
08-02-2007, 5:28 PM
Maurice, before you could roll this to Beaufort, you would have to roll it out of my garage shop! Everything I have is on wheels and uses the bench as an outfeed table. So I understand the need to make the most of all the space we have. Hang in there and stop by if your ever up to the Holy City:)

Jim

Steve Clardy
08-02-2007, 6:16 PM
Nice looking cabinet Jim.

I like the little lovered vent down below. :D

Maurice Ungaro
08-02-2007, 8:49 PM
Jim,
I just might come up and visit with you for some space saving ideas. I'll shoot you a pm in the next week or so.

Lewis Cobb
08-05-2007, 3:11 PM
Jim -
Beautiful piece of work, and had given me a few ideas for my CMS. One comment on safety though - I'd come up with some sort of guard or cover to cover up that track lighting track that you have mounted "upside down". You might never have a problem but the thought of moist sawdust building up in there across the mains power connections, not to mention someone's wandering fingers gives me an unsettled feeling. Better safe than sorry. Having said that, your "outside the box" thinking on those track lights is going to be robbed for my shop as well....:D

Regards from up here in Canada,

Lewis

Jim Hill 2
08-06-2007, 9:36 AM
Lewis, Thanks for swapping idea for idea. I used it a little this weekend and the DC takes care of most all the sawdust, but I did have to sweep a little off the top. I'll incorporate something to cover up the exposed track and get it on before I put the finish. Post pics of your hood when its done!

Jim

Noah Katz
08-06-2007, 3:32 PM
Jim,

So how effective is it?

My first thought upon seeing it was that a lot of the the chips are going to hit the back and bounce right back out.

Jim Hill 2
08-06-2007, 5:44 PM
Without the hood and just using the shop vac to try to catch the dust, I used to have dust shooting out 5 foot off the ground out to 6 or so feet beyond the back of the CMS. It used to be positioned on my bench and then on this rolling cabinet. Now with the hood in place I catch 90 percent of the dust and only a fraction of that bounces back past the fence on the Miter saw. The majority of the 10% piles up on the tabletop behind the saw. The lights do highlight some of the finer dust floating around infront of the fence. I have an air conditioner blowing air away from me to the right and an Air Filtration system running at all times so its just a minute or so before even the fine stuff is gone. So, I'm happy with it since it reduces my mess cleanup to just the back side of the saw that you can only see if your standing at the saw. After I complete the molding and put a finish on it I'll post pictures and show it in use.

Jim

Noah Katz
08-06-2007, 7:05 PM
A piece of foam on the inside back face ought to stop most of the bounceback and probably make it quiter too.

Alan Tolchinsky
08-06-2007, 9:41 PM

Now that's a sad post. Sorry to hear of that Grant.