PDA

View Full Version : Sneak Peek Teaser Gloat.....

Mike Langford
08-01-2007, 10:27 AM
I got in from Hotlanta late last night just in time to unload, unbox, and snap a couple of pics......
69200 69201

More pics and text to follow......as soon as I get this baby set up and wired........(I'm already wired!!!!!!:D )

John Lucas
08-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Is that the new granite top?

Mike Langford
08-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Is that the new granite top?

Nawh!......Just the stock/standard ole cast arn.....69202

I haven't seen the granite top ones yet.....sounds interesting but.... I'll stick with cast.

James K Peterson
08-01-2007, 11:20 AM
If you don't mind telling, where did you buy her from? I've been thinking about Steel City's TS with the titanium coating, and have seen it forsale from Udder Guys (on ebay) for about 1300.00 Plus shipping (or pickup). But they aren't real close to me (Savannah, GA).

Mike Langford
08-01-2007, 11:46 AM
James, I picked it up at Wm.J.Redmond & Son's Customer Appreciation Sale ;) (last day of the sale was yesterday!)

Saw was on sale for $1195.00 plus 15% off and no tax......(also cost me a $53.75 tank of gas :cool: )

It's model #SC-35623

I'm a very happy camper!!!!

Don Bullock
08-01-2007, 1:02 PM
Congratulations Mike. I saw one of those at a woodworking show and was very impressed. You should be a "wired happy camper."

Mike Langford
08-07-2007, 9:40 PM
Well it been exactly one long HOT week since I picked up my new friend....
Finally got it assembled and wired....And I'm extremely happy!!!:D

Here's my old friend.....
69639 69640

And here's my new friend.....
69641 69642

I've still got to take the file cabinet/accessory storage off the contractor saw and add it to the new saw and then re-surface the outfeed table (new hardboard w/miter slots) then I'm ready to build sumthin' with my new friend!

For anyone looking at cabinet saws....Steel City is IMHO the best value for the money.....Construction,fit,and finish is top notch. The cast wings installed nice and flat with out any shims and the industrial fence was square right out of the box!

I'm not affiliated with Steel City....Just a VERY Happy customer! (Like Nancy L....;) )

Ron Jones near Indy
08-07-2007, 9:59 PM
Great looking saw! Hope it's all you expect it to be and more.

Nancy Laird
08-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Mike, all I can say is

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

You are going to LOVE that saw, and you'll be happier as the days, weeks, and months go by. I can't fault you for not holding out for the granite top. Although they are really pretty and have the potential of being great, they are still an unknown and unproven quantity. And your cost was super. I wasn't aware that SCTW was allowing discounting on their machines yet.

Now to get it dirty!!!!

Nancy (136 days)

Mike Heidrick
08-07-2007, 10:11 PM
What an awesome setup Mike. You will did real good. Enjoy it!!

Is the Delta going to a good home??? Maybe a dedicated Dado blade saw/ outfeed table setup?

Bruce Page
08-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Now that's a gloat!
Congrats!

Mike Langford
08-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the comments guys and gals ;)

I wish I had the room to keep the Delta but my oldest son may take it (he has to make room in his garage!) if not I might list it with my woodworker's guild or post it for local pick-up on craigslist.....Saw is only 3 yrs old - has link belt, ZCI, PALS, Two T2 fences (2nd one was a $15 dollar Lowes deal) and homemade 4" dust port, extension table will mount a PC 690 router.(even got a new blade guard somewhere too!)
Saw runs extremely smooth but not like my NEW 3 hp baby!!....

Gary Keedwell
08-07-2007, 10:53 PM
I'm jealous!!!

Good luck with your new friend:p

Gary K.

Roy Wall
08-07-2007, 10:53 PM
Mike -

That looks like a great saw!! Love your shop and that outfeed table....nice!! Enjoy and be safe.

Mike Langford
08-07-2007, 11:07 PM
The ONLY drawback I've found with this saw (so far :rolleyes: ) is that it's too LOW! I'm 6'2" and my Delta (with mobile base) was 35 1/2" tall.....the Steel City is only 34".....So to keep it at a comfortable height (for me!) AND to keep from having to build a shorter outfeed table :eek: I glue and stapled up two pieces of 3/4" plywood and made a 1 1/2" base!......even clipped the corners to match!........bet you didn't even notice did you?

I also added a 2x4 under the extension table so the legs wouldn't be stretched to the last thread......

glenn bradley
08-07-2007, 11:54 PM
Ooooo, Ahhhhh, Ohhhhhh. Congrats on that one.

Jude Tuliszewski
08-08-2007, 1:43 AM
Nice, nothing like getting a new tool set up and just looking at it for a while:D .

Chuck E Cobb
08-08-2007, 7:59 AM
That is Sweet! enjoy your new saw.

Chuck

Benjamin Dahl
08-08-2007, 8:16 AM
great purchase. I completely forgot about their sale and now am kicking myself as I need to wait until next time.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-08-2007, 9:47 AM
Nice set up mike~!!

Mike Langford
08-17-2007, 5:26 PM
Here's just a few more pics of my Steel City saw.....(Boy, I'm milkin' this gloat!! :rolleyes: )

I got the side cabinet installed and a new sheet of hardboard for the outfeed/workbench complete with miter gage slots cut! (yes sportsfans, that is a little router "boo-boo" about a 1/3 of the way up the left side slot!)
I'm also going to put a shelf between the saw cabinet and the side cabinet.
70151 70152

I also included a picture of my little shop helper....you might know him....

I actually hate Star Wars but......One of my sons gave me that vac for Father's Day one year 'cause my older shop vac bit the dust (no pun intended!)
Now, I'm a creature of habit and change comes slow for me, and I was use to my older style shop vac which was taller & slimmer. This new vac is short, fat, and them big ole feet (wheels) snag on everything in the shop....plus it's constantly falling over and coming unplugged from the wall :mad:

So, I named him after that aggravating little droid, R2D2 (we have a love/hate working relation!)

btw - No, my older,taller,and slimmer vac wasn't named C3PO! (It was named Leroy!! :p )

Paul Douglass
08-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Congratulations! I think you will really love that saw. I've had mine for several months now. My only complaint(?) is I get more sawdust thrown out the top than I did on my old sears contractor saw. Part of it is the thicker blade than I was using on my sears. I put a ZC insert on, didn't help much. I'm thinking SHARK GUARD, when I can save up the "mad money".

IT IS A GREAT SAW!!

John Thompson
08-18-2007, 11:04 AM
If you don't mind telling, where did you buy her from? I've been thinking about Steel City's TS with the titanium coating, and have seen it forsale from Udder Guys (on ebay) for about 1300.00 Plus shipping (or pickup). But they aren't real close to me (Savannah, GA).

Morning James...

Nah.. de Utter Guys aren't near ya in Savannah.. but the following SC distributor is:

The Savannah Toolhouse, Inc.
4408 Augusta Rd. Hwy 21
Garden City, Ga. 31408
912-965-0500

Regards...

Sarge.. john thompson

Gary Keedwell
08-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Very nice....I had to put my sunglasses on to get a good view of that shiny surface.:p
Gary K.