PDA

View Full Version : What to do with FWW Mags (Nearly Full Set)

Carl Eyman
08-01-2007, 8:53 AM
I have something like a 98% full set of FWW. As all of you know it is a fabulous reference resource. Due to my slow down in projects I don't need it as much as I once did. So I'm looking for ideas on how to dispose of them.

I know they sell well when advertised, but the several hundred dollars they'd bring is less important to me than seeing them used for the general good of woodworkers.

I could donate them to the "Free Stuff" raffle, and am willing to do so, but that way only one person - the winner - benefits.

I don't think they'd get enough use in local libraries county or university to send them there.

Ideally, I'd like my friends here to get the benefit. Anyone got any thoughts?

Justin McCurdy
08-01-2007, 9:13 AM
You could just sell them outright on SMC and donate all or half of the money from the sale to SMC. You could also find a local woodworking group that has a centralized woodworking library and donate to them. I know that my local woodworking group (southeast michigan woodworkers) would jump at an oppertunity like this, and would most likely be willing to make a nice donation to SMC for the oppertunity.

Best Regards,
Justin

Carl Eyman
08-01-2007, 9:31 AM
If your group can use them effectively, Justin, I'd be glad to consider donating them to the group. We don't have any local club that could pull it off. Get back to me with a proposition, and I'll consider it with any others I get. Thanks for the reply.

The selling and donating the proceeds idea is good, but it doesn't spread the benefit widely enough.

Justin McCurdy
08-01-2007, 9:59 AM
Carl,

PM Sent.

Best Regards,
Justin

Jim Becker
08-01-2007, 10:00 AM
How about a free-stuff drawing at SMC?

Rob Bourgeois
08-01-2007, 12:38 PM
The LSU Agcenter has a forestry and wood products unit which I currently work at..sorta. I work in fisheries BUT in order to keep my job after budget cuts got put in charge of the wood shop also. I dont know if they would be interested BUT we are local and my office is fairly empty. :) I will go talk to the forest products guy if you are interested in this.

And it would give me an excuse to go down and visit with you again...not that I need an excuse. BUT that way I could do it on company time.

Jim O'Dell
08-01-2007, 12:45 PM
If you decide to do the free stuff drawings here at SMC, then break down the magazines into groups by year, and make each year a separate giveaway. One new drawing every X number of days. You could set it up so that that winner is for this particular year, or that winner has his choice of which year from the years not already won and claimed. (Does that make sense?)
I bet you get lots of ideas, and whichever way you choose to go with them, it is very generous of you to offer them to what I'm sure will be a very worthy cause!! Jim

Carl Eyman
08-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Jim: That was my first thought, but my second was it only benefits one person, the winner. I'm looking to spread the benefit as widely as possible.Justin came up with an interesting possibility.

Rob: I wish you'd gotten in line a little sooner. I've committed to Justin on a plan he came up with, and you are #2 in line if his falls thru. As you say yours has the added benefit of a visit with you and no shipping. We'll see.

Justin McCurdy
08-01-2007, 3:55 PM
Carl, another PM has been sent.

Ron Jones near Indy
08-01-2007, 4:21 PM
Is there a high school near you with a good woodworking program or perhaps a vocational school with a cabinet making program? I think they might make very good use of your FWW magazines. Just an idea.

Sorry, I just noticed you had made another commitment for them.

Rob Bourgeois
08-01-2007, 8:08 PM
Rob: I wish you'd gotten in line a little sooner. I've committed to Justin on a plan he came up with, and you are #2 in line if his falls thru. As you say yours has the added benefit of a visit with you and no shipping. We'll see.

Either way I still plan on coming down for a visit once things settle down at work. This week was my first week being building safety guy, shop supervisor and doing 2 days a week fisheries research.

Burt Alcantara
08-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Use them to start your barbeque.

Rob Bourgeois
08-06-2007, 8:17 PM
Use them to start your barbeque.

Fahrenheit 451...
Sorry I disagree. Literature should never be destroyed. Maybe its my education or maybe its knowing how much time goes into writing an article but to me this is quite frankly insane.

/MODS..delete my post if this will cause Carls thread to get pulled. BUT I hope you would delete the above post also.

Joe Unni
08-06-2007, 8:31 PM
No thoughts really, just...

Thank you.

-joe