PDA

View Full Version : 300

Gary Keedwell
07-31-2007, 11:47 PM
Just finished DVD of the movie 300. I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. :) It was a pretty good movie. Any body see it yet?

Gary K.

glenn bradley
08-01-2007, 12:06 AM
Yeah. I too was surprised at the quality of the movie. The trailers make it look like a CG video game.

Lee DeRaud
08-01-2007, 1:01 AM
I saw it when it was in the theaters: very impressive.

I'm not really into "graphic novels", so I don't know how the original material matches up, but so far Frank Miller is 2-for-2 with movies. Kind of makes me wish they'd do some movies of Neil Gaiman's stuff.

Jason Beam
08-01-2007, 1:03 AM
Just pulled out the dvd - Netflix is handy :D

I was impressed that it was made well. But more than that, I was pleased that they didn't fall into the hokey trip that most period or historic films seem to. Since they used English anyway, they went all the way and used OUR english, not Olde English or some unnatural dialect that would have just seemed more artificial. Instead, they spoke properly but also didn't go stale. I mean ...

Leonidas was a cocky smart aleck. He mocked things and poked fun just like I imagine was done originally. Those younger soldiers and their playful nudging one another was great.

Many historic/period stories seem to lose the human part of dialog and conversation. Just because it wasn't within the last 100 years doesn't mean everyone spoke like Shakespear.

I flat out giggled at some of the wisecracks :D

Overall, a very good film.

Gary Keedwell
08-01-2007, 2:28 PM
When I got to work this morning , found out another guy seen it also. He also loved it. Won't get into the politics of it but alot of the movie parallels things that are of concerns today. Again, it was a pleasant surprise.

Gary K.

TYLER WOOD
08-01-2007, 3:38 PM
There were many historical facts used and skewed, as well as some peotic lisence, but at least it was not put out as a historical documentary and then it be a botch job like others I have seen. It was portrayed as a fictional piece, very loosley based on history. Kudos to the makers of a film I didn't even want to see, but fell in love with!