PDA

View Full Version : Not "Fine" woodworking

Jim Dunn
07-31-2007, 11:17 PM
but a challenge just the same. My wifes garden shed has turned into a monster eating up lumber faster than I can buy it:eek:. It's fun just the same and I've promised it to her for the past year and an half. Now that it's started she can hardly wait till I finish it.

Course our granddaughter got her first look and decided I need to build her a room just for her in it some place.:D So it looks like it's going to be a playhouse/gardenshed combo.

Thanks for looking and please leave comments as I'm still able to change most aspects of the thing in this phase.

Jim

I'll post more pictures as I get the time.

Chuck Lenz
07-31-2007, 11:31 PM
I dunno Jim, it sure looks like a woodshop to me. You may want to add on to one side for a finishing room though.

Jim Dunn
08-01-2007, 6:29 AM
No Chuck. At just under 12' by 14' it's too small for a shop. Also no: heat, water, insulation, bath or electric;) (till the inspector is outa here:eek:)

Gary Herrmann
08-01-2007, 8:17 AM
Nice job, Jim. Looks pretty fine to me.

Where does the coffee pot go?

Al Willits
08-01-2007, 8:30 AM
""""""""""""
(till the inspector is outa here:eek:)

Hehehe....er...not sure I'd say that to loud Jim, them inspectors have agents everywhere....:D
But I know the feeling.

Looks good btw.

Pool goes out behind it I emagine?:)

Al

Jeff Raymond
08-01-2007, 8:43 AM
Where's the deck going to go?

And when do you move in? :D

Don Orr
08-01-2007, 9:23 AM
Looks pretty "Fine" to me !!:D

Jim Becker
08-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Fun project, Jim!

Jim Dunn
08-01-2007, 4:19 PM
Where's the deck going to go?

And when do you move in? :D

Deck is already on the house and I'm not moving;) However if my wife makes it all nice inside I might have to camp-out every now and then:D

Jim Dunn
08-01-2007, 4:20 PM
Nice job, Jim. Looks pretty fine to me.

Where does the coffee pot go?

I'll show you the coffee pot as soon as I get a longer extension cord:o Does a cupajoe satisfy you for now:rolleyes:

Jim Dunn
08-01-2007, 4:26 PM
""""""""""""
(till the inspector is outa here:eek:)

Hehehe....er...not sure I'd say that to loud Jim, them inspectors have agents everywhere....:D
But I know the feeling.

Looks good btw.

Pool goes out behind it I emagine?:)

Al

Pool already installed and in use

David DeCristoforo
08-01-2007, 4:37 PM
No Chuck. At just under 12' by 14' it's too small for a shop. Also no: heat, water, insulation, bath or electric;) (till the inspector is outa here:eek:)

So sorry but there's no such thing as "too small for a shop". Also, a shop does not need "heat, water, insulation, bath or electric". My first shop was in the back of a 1950 Chevy station wagon. Unfortunately, this was my residence as well, which resulted in my clothing and my food being heavily laced with sawdust..... I agree with Chuck...that looks like a shop to me.....

Ben Grunow
08-01-2007, 8:00 PM
Looks good Jim and what a great setting.

My only thought is to add a ceiling joist between every other pair of rafters to take the thrust from roof loads (snow/weight of shingles etc) and prevent bowing the walls out.

Keep the pics coming!

Ben

Jim Dunn
08-01-2007, 9:41 PM
Ben there are rafter ties in the top 1/3 of the rafters, per code. That way I've got almost 10'6" clear from floor to ceiling.

In the end view I've decided that I want 2 3' doors. I'm still looking for "barn hardware" that will allow them to slide open from the center to the outside. These doors I intend to make my self.:o

The setting has been in progress for the past 2 years. I'm standing on the deck in the last picture.

Doug Pettway
08-01-2007, 10:16 PM
seriously, your wife must be quite the gardener. the landscape looks outstanding! i cant wait to see the finished shed.

Jim Dunn
08-01-2007, 10:38 PM
That walkway is all hers. I didn't like the idea of cutting up the yard like that as I have to cut the grass. But, the way I look at it now, I'll be cutting about 3 blades of grass with a push mower. Look at all the gas I'll save:)

Jim Dunn
08-09-2007, 10:42 PM
A little bit more and I'll be ready to roof. That is if the heat wave ever subsides:eek::( It's HOT, too hot to work on this but it's for my wife:D Think of the rewards when it's finished;)

Jim Dunn
09-18-2007, 9:44 PM
can be seen in the following photo's. I haven't roofed for at least 30+ years and in the 100+ heat it follows that I had to take my time and work only in the mornings.

I did make the decision to wrap the whole thing in Tyvek. I wanted it to be as moisture resistant as possible.

The overhang/soffit is T&G cedar each piece cut to 27degrees on both ends. I'll use Miratec, a waterproof trim board that looks like MDF, on the corners, around the windows and up against the soffit.

I hope to find a color in Hardi Plank that my wife likes.:rolleyes: I don't want any yearly effort in finishing or painting.

Before you ask, I intentionally covered the front door as it's more weather proof till I get the door on.

Thanks for looking

Jim Becker
09-18-2007, 9:47 PM
Gonna be a great looking shed, Jim! And I really do like those soffits...very kewel.

Jim Dunn
09-18-2007, 9:52 PM
Thanks Jim. It's going to be an $$$expensive$$$ garden shed. My wifes tastes run to the high side of "well it's only money":)

Jim Becker
09-18-2007, 9:58 PM
Yes, I can understand that...'using the pre-finished Hardie plank on our addition and the rest of the non-stone portions of our existing structure. Ching ching...but no painting for a very long time...including "now".

Jim Dunn
09-23-2007, 9:21 PM
A couple of more pics of this weekends work. I found and added a small window to the gable, trimmed the barn door area. I also finished the gable on this end of the building. At 93degrees today I had to find work in the shade, which meant cleaning up my boat;):D. This is all for the next couple of weeks, as I've got a big tournament to fish coming up.

Kelly C. Hanna
09-23-2007, 11:57 PM
That's gonna be a very nice finishing room....uh....garden shed there buddy.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Can you build a room for me too in there please?

Jason Christenson
04-07-2008, 11:32 AM
At just under 12' by 14' it's too small for a shop.

That's about the size of my shop. :D

Jason