PDA

View Full Version : Performax air cleaner?

Cliff Polubinsky
07-31-2007, 10:11 PM
Noticed that Menard's has the Performax air cleaner on sale for $149. Is this a decent unit? Haven't had any luck finding a listing or review online anywhere. Just dealing with a 1 car garage/shop so don't need a big-a model and the remote would be a handy option.

Thanks

Cliff

Jim Becker
08-01-2007, 10:24 AM
WMH began using the Performax name on a new low-end line of tools for the retail market in the last year...hence the product you're looking at. It's likely based on the Jet (WMH owns them as well as PowerMatic and Wilton) although it may not have the same specifications and capabilities. They don't really make it easy to find information on this line online...it's there, but unless you know the exact place to go, it's invisible for some reason.

John Lucas
08-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Cliff,
If your one car garage is used as a shop a lot of time, then maybe an air cleaner makes sense. I would rather put effort and money into dust control on each of your dust makers. Here is an easy test of air cleaner need: wear a dust mask every minute you are in the shop. If after a day or two there is dust on the outside of mask, then an air cleaner might be useful. If no dust on mask, then skip air cleaner.

Cliff Polubinsky
08-01-2007, 5:21 PM
John,

I already have a good Shop Fox DC. It works fine with the major tools but there's always some that gets away with sanding, etc. A lot of the things I've been reading about the effects of airborne dust has me looking to control those levels as well. The other idea is it could also be useful to move air around the shop when the wind isn't blowing or not blowing in the garage door. Helps to keep from dripping on the wood.

Cliff